3 • questions

Sometimes, when you don't ask questions,
it's not because you're afraid that someone will lie to your face.
It's because you're afraid they'll tell you the truth
jodi picoult

___

turn back around so I am facing the door. I gently push it till I hear the soft clicking sound telling me it's closed. I stay there for a moment, staring at the door.

"Who are you?" I ask bluntly.

I hear the soft clicking of a pair of heels walking towards me.

"Morgana." She said simply.

I turn around to face the woman. Morgana had a hand outstretched, waiting for me to shake it.

Instead, I stare at her, taking in her cold, dark eyes to her dark clothes and ebony skin and her black hair in a pristine bun on the top of her head.

She raises an eyebrow, looking down at our hands then back up to my eyes.

I give in. "Lucy. Br-"

"Emma, you don't have to lie to me." She interrupts calmly, "I helped choose your name."

I squeezed my eyes shut and opened them again. She knew my real name. That meant she was important, but that's not what caught my attention. "What?"

"Brandson was a bit of a play on words." She continued as if it explained anything. "Tell me Emma, do you speak Swedish?"

"I thought Brandson was my mother's maiden name."

Morgana shoots me a look that almost resembled sympathy, "Is that what they told you?"

I open my mouth to reply but close it again. I throw a questioning look at my uncle and aunt. "Is this true?"

For a moment, neither of them reply. I take my jacket off, and hang it then start pacing around the room.

Uncle Ted stood up, "Em, honey." He began in a low voice. "I think you'll want to sit down for this."

I pause, midway through running a hand through my dirty blonde hair. Aunt Victoria stands up as well, a worried look on her face. I exchange glances with my relatives. I exhale heavily, nodding silently before going to take a seat.

They all wait till I am quiet before they sit down too.

"Emma, do you remember anything from your childhood?" Morgana asks. I look at her in surprise. She sounded almost hesitant. "Before you moved in with your aunt and uncle?"

Aunt Victoria and Uncle Ted inhale sharply at her question. I throw them questioning glances before replying. "No, not really." I admit slowly, "But what does this have to do with anything?"

Morgana scrutinises my aunt and uncle for a moment before letting out a heavy sigh. "Seeing as neither of them plan on telling you, I will." She turns back to face me. "Emma, you have abilities."

"And what are these abilities?" I ask, trying to keep my voice from breaking as I spoke.

Morgana hesitates for a second before replying. "You have... Fire powers." She states almost as if it pained her to put it in that way.