45 • laters, lucy

i won't ever forget you
and maybe that is the only forever
the two of us together were ever
meant to have
. . gray

___

ANDREW is right.

I can't do it. He's lied to me, manipulated me, drugged me and locked me up, snarled at and hurt me so many times over these last few months, and yet, even when I have the advantage in the situation, I can't do it. I can't retaliate, because deep down, all I feel when I look at Andrew is concern.

It's weak. It's pathetic.

I take in a deep breath and start to pull away. This is useless. I should be helping Morga—

"What are you doing?" Andrew suddenly interrupts. He grabs a hold of my burning hand, keeping it close to his face. "Finish the job."

"Stop it, we've already established I'm weak, haven't we?" I sigh. "Let go." I try again to pull away. Andrew tightens his grip around my arm. I stare at him in confusion.

"Do it," he insists. It almost sounds like a plea. "You've won, haven't you? You were right, weren't you? I'm the bad guy here. So finish off the job."

"Andrew, I'm not going to hurt you. Just let go." I struggle against Andrew's grip, but he keeps pulling me back to him.

"Why?! Other people here have died on this ship for much less. There were four other people on board before. We killed them just to get to this island. My father is in the other room holding a gun to that woman. You know her, don't you? You don't even know what else he's done. What else... we've done... Do you think I still deserve to live after all that?!"

"Andrew..." In spite of myself, I stop struggling and I take a proper look at him.

Anguish. That's one of the indescribable emotions in his eyes. He isn't acting. Everything he says, he's being serious.

"Please, just do it. I'm becoming him, I'm becoming a monster. I used to wonder why people avoided me when I was younger, but they must have known all along. You probably did too."

"Andrew, you're not a monster. If you want to change, it's never too late—"

Andrew chuckles with a sardonic smile that contrasts the tears welling in his eyes. "If I wanted to change, then I would've stopped him from trying to lure you out with that explosion at the parade."

I stiffen.

"All for a stupid necklace..." he murmurs. "It's too late now."

Andrew's confession is enough to bring me back to my senses. Forcefully, I prise his fingers off my wrist and stand up abruptly. That's when I notice the blisters forming in his palms. He'd burnt himself holding on to me.

I sigh again.

"You should get that treated," I say brusquely. I need to remind myself to stop caring. This isn't what I came here for. At least, the lack of gun shots provides me some with assurance that Morgana is faring okay. I begin to walk out the room towards the room Morgana and the mayor were only to be lurched backwards when the entire airship jerks in a sudden, violent motion that knocks everyone off their feet.

Turbulence? I wonder for a fraction of a section, before I hear a resounding boom. No, turbulence isn't usually followed by an explosion.

I grip onto the walls to help me get back on my feet, and I notice Andrew doing the same.

"What's going on?" he asks, eyebrows furrowing.