43 • bad timings

some things are more precious because they don't last long
oscar wilde

___

   THE elevator ride is silent for all but twenty seconds. That's when the argument starts.

"Wait a minute," Cole realises. "We just passed the ground floor. Why aren't we getting off?"

Cass looks up from her phone with a frown, staring blankly at Cole. "Oh. Well, Logan sent me a text like right after the video transmission telling us to meet them in the labs."

"You mean the same phone that was hacked all but twenty seconds beforehand? Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees something wrong with that sentence. What if it wasn't actually Logan that texted you, and we're walking right into a trap?"

Cass's frown deepens. "What are you suggesting? That we stay in this broken half-exploded elevator all night and wait for something else to try to kill us?"

I sigh tiredly, pulling myself out of my thoughts to say, "Guys, can we not do this now?"

"No," Cole replies to Cass, "I was going to suggest we get the hell out of this building and find a way off this island - like I'm sure most people are currently trying to do - rather than digging ourselves deeper graves."

"Do you have to be so pessimistic all the time?" Cass replies. "We're not digging anyone's grave, we're meeting up with our friends like we originally agreed. Emma, back me up."

"Why should Emma back up a plan that is most likely going to end up with at least one of us dead by the end of the night?"

"Yeah... No thanks," I decide, leaning against the nearest wall and shutting my eyes. "I'm not getting involved in this."

Cole and Cass continue to squabble over what a better plan would be, but I try to drown out their voices by concentrating on the groaning creaks of the elevator as we continue our slow descent. The elevator ride is noticeably longer than usual, and I have a feeling it might have something to do with the fact that the outer pair of doors of the elevator got blown up just under 5 minutes ago. That or the power shortage that occurred not long before that.

But that isn't my issue. What really bothers me is the recording that had played on our phones. The 'invasion' warning. The voice had sounded so familiar, and yet in the haze of adrenaline, I was unable to pinpoint exactly why that was. I feel tempted to ask Cole or Cass about it, but they're too busy coping with the stress of the situation the only way they know how: arguing.

"This is a bad idea," Cole announces. "I vote that we go back up and get out of here."

"Well, it's a good thing I'm the one near the control panel," Cass replies, shooting him a sugary, poison-laced smile. "Vetoed."

I roll my eyes. I prepare to go back to ignoring them when I notice the distinct lack of something. Namely, motion. My eyes fly open. We've stopped moving. Cole and Cass haven't noticed yet.

"Um guys..." My eyes are trained on the slowly widening doors.

A figure appears in the hallway, though they are too dim to make out.

"Guys," I repeat this time with more urgency. I tug at Cole's sleeve to gain his attention. "We've got company."

Cole and Cass come to alert immediately. Despite affirming that nothing would happen, at my prompt she swiftly pulls out one of her many swords, wielding it in front of her, while Cole conjures two club-sized icicles out of thin air.