interlude • ii

T e d  & V i c

THERE WERE TIMES when hearing something just wasn't good enough, to truly believe, you had to it see for yourself

Victoria was an odd blend of cynicism and hope. Maybe the newscaster was wrong. Maybe they meant a different family. She didn't know. She needed to know. Fear crawled up her skin. Doubt latched its fingers around her neck and it suffocated her. She couldn't breathe. She had to find out. She couldn't breathe again until she knew for sure they were well and truly gone.

She bought the plane ticket on an impulse. Barely battered an eyelid at the extortionate taxi fares she'd been demanded to pay. The only way she'd know was to see for herself, she'd worry about the expenses later — the only thing that mattered now was getting to Sparke Residence. 

And she wasn't going to let anything get in her away.

"THE RELATIVE IS here."

The older general, at whom this question was directed, froze. With a twitch of his greying moustache and a furrow of his bushy brows, he turned to the younger agent, saying, "What?"

"She demands to be let on site, Sir," the former informed his superior, rubbing the back of his neck in a sheepish manner. "We are trying our best to convince her to leave but it only seems to be making her more agitated. She—she punched one of the guards and managed to slip past the others by the perimeter."

The general sighed in annoyance.

Of course he had to be the supervisor of this nightmare.

That was the only suitable word for this situation: a nightmare. First, two of their leading research scientists gone at the peak of their career, taking millions of dollars worth of groundbreaking research to their (currently undug) graves. Second was the whole mystery concerning how the accident had occurred in the first place — and the slowly festering conspiracy that every news station seemed to be itching to cover. And now in third, this... this... relative.

No more.

"Let her on. She's bound to cause less damage on site than off," the general decided. "The media are already on us like hawks, we don't want to give those predators something they can actually feed on."

The agent nodded tersely and went back to relay this information. He needn't move far. The woman had already made her way up to the front line, demanding to speak to the director of all this.