29 • party's over

give me music and I will feel your heart
give me reality and I will feel your scars
. poindexter

___

   IN retrospect, there are worse ways to go.

Being ousted by your roommate who lets out a bloodcurdling scream so loud, you could almost already hear the thundering footsteps of a SWAT team ready to put you down... it's not that bad, considering the options.

"Cassandra?" Morgana calls from the other side of the door. "Are you alright? Should I—?"

Cass's eyes connect with our pleading ones, and she stills. Her hands fly over her mouth and the room crashes into complete and absolute silence.

She must have realised who we were.

"Cassandra?" Morgana calls again.

"Oh! It's...um," Cass stares at us as she speaks, "nothing. I thought... I just thought I saw a spider. False alarm."

"Do I need to—are you okay? Should I come in?" Morgana asks, a mix of concern and confusion ringing in her voice.

In response, Cole and I shake our heads aggressively at Cass. Having Cass find out we were breaking into her mother's office is one thing, having Morgana find out is another.

"Oh! Er, no! Don't come in! It'll distract me from finding where I put the gift," Cass replies. "Plus, I forgot to tell you but I heard a rumour that someone figured out how to disable the cameras at the party..." she continues, "...and that people are...planning on doing...drugs?"

Cass looks at us for ideas. We helplessly shrug back in response.

"What?!" Morgana responds. "No, that's impossible. I would have been alerted if there were any malfunctions with the CCTV."

"It's probably just a rumour then."

On the other side of the door, Morgana remains quiet. Then after a couple seconds, she speaks up again. "I'm going to the security monitoring centre," she decides. "I'll be back soon."

"I'll try to be quick!" Cass calls back.

Click clack click clack.

We stand in silence, waiting until Morgana's footsteps dim entirely, not daring to breathe in case it prompted her to come back.

Cass is the first to react when we're sure Morgana is gone.

She flicks on the light switch. Examines the two us for a moment. Then proceeds to pump her first in the air several times.

"YES! HA! I knew it! I knew it!!!"

Cole and I turn to each other, sharing a look of confusion.

Meanwhile, Cass continues her mini-celebration. "See, Logan thought I was crazy—but I was so right," she continues, now looking at me. "I knew he was the reason for your random disappearances."

Cole tilts his head, looking at me with a frown. "You never told me anyone else suspected anything."

"You say that as if you tell me everything that goes on in your life," I counter. "And besides, it's not like I knew how much or how long she'd known. I didn't really see the point of raising any false alarms."