Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop

Hermione turned into the High Street and she paused outside Scrivenshaft’s Quill Shop, where there was a new display of fancy feather quills in the window. 'Hmm… I could do with a new quill.' She said loudly so Harry and Ron would hear, they were right behind her. She knew they would get bored and leave her, so she could deal with Draco.

Ron was spluttering something about Michael Corner, the Ravenclaw boy who was going out with his sister.

She turned into the shop and was surprised and annoyed to see Harry and Ron follow her in.

'Which one was Michael Corner?' Ron demanded.

“The dark one,” said Hermione. 

“I didn’t like him,” said Ron immediately

“Big surprise,” said Hermione under her breath, wanting the two to leave.

'But,' said Ron, following Hermione along a row of quills in copper pots, 'I thought Ginny fancied Harry!'

Hermione looked at him in a patronizing way and shook her head sadly. 'Ginny used to fancy Harry, but she gave up on him months ago. Not that she doesn’t like you, of course,” she added, examining a random long black and gold quill.

'So that’s why she talks now?' he asked Hermione. 'She never used to talk in front of me.'

'Exactly,' mumbled Hermione.'Yes, I think I’ll have this one…' She went up to the counter and gave the shopkeeper a few coins from her purse. 'This is exactly why Ginny hasn’t told you she’s seeing Michael, she knew you’d take it badly. So don’t harp on about it, for heaven’s sake.' Hermione snapped, wanting them to leave her be. Ron blubbered something about taking it badly and Hermione rolled her eyes.

'And talking about Michael and Ginny… what about Cho and you?' Hermione mumbled as she went to put the quill away.

'What d’you mean?' said Harry quickly. 

'Well, she just couldn’t keep her eyes off you, could she?' Hermione smiled sweetly. Harry tried to disguise his pleasure at this, but did so badly. At that moment Hermione saw her chance to escape and took it. 'I'll see you two in the Common Room!' She shouted over her shoulder as she made her way around Hogsmead looking for Draco.

***

Draco sped around the corner by Honeydukes. He was out of breath from running and had had to abandon the cloak on the way. The snow made it hard to run without falling; something he had no intention of doing. Thinking about it, he felt bad about spying on them, but he was curious and she was going into derelict pubs. That means spying, of course. Anyway, what did she care? Hermione was going to be teaching twenty-five people, so she wouldn't have time for him anyway. What did that even mean? Time for him? Hiding in cupboards? Well, to be perfectly honest, Draco had as much fun as he'd had since, forever! Father didn't really see fun like he did.

Draco looked at the clock by Hogsmead Station. It was getting later, and he finally decided to return to the Castle. But waiting in the Great Hall for him was Hermione Granger.

Arms folded, frowning.

'Hear anything interesting?' She hissed once he passed her. When he didn't stop, she ran after him, straight past the Slytherin table, straight into Pansy Parkinson.

'Where are you going, Mudblood?' She blocked Hermione's path, two girls beside her. The tallest one, with blond hair and a petite nose, bellowed with laughter as if Pansy had just said the most hilarious thing in the world. Pansy glared at her and she abruptly stopped.

Hermione calmly tried to budge past her, but the tall girl stood in front of her again. She was only a few inches bigger, but was a bit chubbier compared to the two.