Aftermath

The week following the breakup was one everyone agreed was not only glum, but also confusing.

Of course, Draco was beside himself, though he expressed it in fits of anger rather than tears. Hermione spent her next few days indulging herself in tear-wrenching books and ignoring anyone who spoke to her(excepting teachers, obviously).

And everyone else? Well, most were busy swapping stories about how on earth Ginny Weasley had been found tied up and unconscious in a broom cupboard, and then proceeded to have forgotten a whole day. Many said she engaged in a duel against a skilled witch or wizard in school and lost; although most knew she was exceedingly good at duelling and thought better of it.

Hermione felt somewhat responsible for Ginny's predicament, seeing as though it had been her who had last seen Ginny that day. She was in the hospital wing now, and McGonagall had put out a message to the attacker to turn themselves in, before things got serious.

Meanwhile, Pansy Parkinson sat smugly drinking from the bathroom tap when a ghostly figure sprouted out alongside he water.

'Myrtle!' Pansy started with a shock.

'Yes, I-I know what my name is!'Myrtle wailed.

'Ew, and I almost drank you!' She spat.

Pansy's lip quivered but she ignored this, and began circling Pansy. 'I know what you did, Pansy Parkinson.'

Pansy's eyes widened in curiosity. 'And what exactly would that be?'

'You tied up that Weasley girl. You know, I know her brother, he came to my bathroom-'

'I honestly couldn't care less about Ronald Weasel-face, or whichever of the many Weasley brothers that came to visit.' Pansy snapped. 'And anyway, even if I did do that to the Weasley girl, who would believe you? Moping, moaning Myrtle.'

At this moment, Myrtle let out a scream so harsh it resembled more closely a growl. 'Harry will believe me! Harry Potter-'

'At the moment, no one believes Harry too much either. He's a liar, the boy who cried Voldemort!' Pansy smirked, and leant back to the water tap.

Myrtle sprung in front of her before she could move a muscle. 'T-This isn't over.' She said weakly, knowing she had already lost.

'I think you'll find it is!' Pansy said rhythmically, and made a little noise if approval.

****
Sitting glumly through Professor Snape's potions lesson, Draco Malfoy failed yet another attempt at a Venom antidote.

Snape snapped abruptly, making most people in the room jump slightly; 'Ronald Weasley, I have seen better excuses for a potion in a lump of frog sick than in your cauldron. You and Longbottom are the only ones who fail to complete such a childishly easy task-'

'Actually Professor,' Harry spoke up, 'Draco seems to have failed his as well.'

'Detention, Potter! For showing arrogance I should have expected from James' son.' Snape spat, looking dangerously at Draco for showing him up. As usual, Harry had to be restrained from attacking his potions teacher. Draco let out a puff of breath that resembled a laugh at Potter's struggle.

'Something funny, Malfoy?' Ron snapped as he held back Harry.

'Not really.' Draco murmured, and turned to ask Snape for extra beozar dust.

All at once, there came an almighty snigger of laughter. Draco turned confusedly. All students were stifling laughs, holding their stomachs or looking expectantly at Draco himself.

'Y-you have something on your back.' Hermione's voice echoed solemnly across the ripple of students. She stood to tend to Draco, but he jolted back as if she was a bolt of lightening waiting to strike.

'Draco, please-' She begged quietly, but for what Draco never found out, as at that moment Professor Snape ripped the post-it off Draco's back with a satisfying tear.

'Granger!' Snape growled at his student. 'There is to be no contact between boys and girls. Eight inches, if I remember correctly.'

'It's six,' Seamus Finnigan corrected, 'six inches, I mean.'

'Ten points from Gryffindor for insolence.' Snape droned with a slight smirk. 'And another ten for Granger blatantly breaking the rules.'

'But Professor!' Hermione whined.

'Last time I checked, students are to call me Professor Snape, not 'Butt Professor'.'

Hermione backed down instantly. One day a time would come when she'd battle Professor Snape with words, but that day was not today.

'Professor Snape, I was the one who started it!' Draco announced suddenly. 'I went within six inches of her.'

'I really have no time for love-struck lies at this moment, Draco.' Snape said in monotone.

'But-' Draco started, but Snape turned to him so violently; with a look which screamed 'if you dare', that Draco ate his words.

Snape then openly scolded the whole class for being so useless, before he dismissed everyone except Harry, who owed him a detention.

'Thanks for trying.' Came Hermione's voice abruptly from behind Draco.

He turned to look at her.

It seemed as if nothing had changed. Her hair was insanely bushy thanks to the high humidity of the potions classroom, her robes spotless as usual, and her school bag filled to the brim with overflowing books. The only thing that perhaps only Draco could have noticed was the expression she wore so glumly. It wasn't guilt. It was something more mutual, the same expression Draco sported every day since the break-up.

Longing.

'Trying?' Said Draco.

'To spare me from Snape.' She attempted a smile.

'No problem.' Draco said stiffly.

'I guess I'll just-' Draco said awkwardly.

'Yeah, I've got to get to...'

They separated in silence, only excepting the noise of each other's footsteps.

*~*~*~*~