Hermione's rage and the Missing Galleon

For the few days that followed Hermione and Draco's detention, Hermione was unusually quiet, and just as furious. On more than one occasion, Harry swore he heard her spluttering curses from her dorm; swears as well as actual curses. 

'Oppugno!' Hermione hissed, practicing curses on a fly stuck in the common room.

'Hermione, is everything-' Ron began as Hermione's set of books began to attack the fly.

'Calvorio!' She pointed at Ron's attempt at a transfigured goblet. It was originally a hamster and still had fur. Immediately the goblet's hair dropped off. 'Don't you think Umbridge would suit a bald head?' She said venomously.

'Hermione, what's-' 

'Oh nothing's wrong, Ronald. Just that old bat teaching us nothing useful whatsoever.' she lied.

'Come on, you weren't like this before.. What happened that we missed?' Harry said from behind a copy of the Daily Prophet. He was checking out any articles that might mention Sirius, and seeing whether Rita Skeeter had broken her promise yet, ever since Hermione had found out her secret. She was an unregistered animagus, and used her size as a beetle to spy on the victims of her next articles. Since Hermione had found out and threatened to reveal the secret, Rita had stayed utterly quiet. 'What did Umbridge do?'

Hermione sighed and continued her angry spellwork. She wasn't ready to tell Harry and Ron about Draco yet. Harry still referred to Draco as his enemy, and Hermione couldn't think of what Harry might do or say about the recent series of events between Draco and her. Hermione couldn't even show them her hand; it still burned clear the words 'I will keep my lips to myself'. Ron would surely laugh at the idea of her snogging in front of Umbridge and they'd insist on knowing who she kissed, leading once again back to Draco. Hermione wondered what he was telling people, if he'd show off his hand or keep it hidden as Hermione did under a wrap of bandage.

Ron and Harry sat down beside her cautiously, they were worried she'd set her books on them, or make their hair disappear. 'Come on Hermione, you can tell-' Ron started again, but Hermione had already snatched up her books; which were open on various curses. 

'I don't need to tell you anything. That foul beast will get what she deserves, and I will make sure it's me who provides that experience.' And with that, Hermione retreated to her dormitory bed, still practicing curses.

****

Ron and Harry left Hermione alone that night, all through to an awkward breakfast the next day, in which they didn't dare look her in the eyes in case they burst into flames.

'Hermione!' Came a voice as somone's voice echoed through the hall.

Hermione spun round, wondering if it was Draco. She hadn't spoke to him since they left Dolores' office, and Hermione wouldn't have been surprised if Draco thought she'd fallen out with him. 

But it was someone else. Luna lovegood's honey-sweet voice sung happily to the trio. 'Hello, Hermione, Ron, Harry. I was wondering about the next.. Um, you know.' Her voice became a mere whisper.

'I gave you a galleon with the date, didn't I?' said Hermione.

'Yes, I'm sure you did.' Luna replied dreamily, twisting a portion of her blonde hair into a tiny plait.

'Well, where is it?'

'Oh! It was stolen.'

Harry spluttered out his pumpkin juice. 'What?! Luna, if someone gets hold of-'

Hermione threw him an impatient look and Luna continued. 'Relax, Harry, it was just a few stray nargles. They won't give it to anyone.' She looked perfectly calm, if not pleased that nargles had taken fun in stealing her possessions.

'Don't be ridiculous! Nargles don't even exist, Luna!'

Luna gave him an irritated stare, but Harry interrupted her forming argument by getting up furiously from the table.

'Now it's just me that's not angry at everything.' Said Ron more to himself than anyone, but Luna began hilariously snorting and giggling, while tears formed in her eyes which snapped shut to prevent her confused tears. 

Ron offered her a napkin.

*****

'What do you mean, they kissed?!' Pansy whined to one of her friends in the Slytherin Common room.

'I-They got a detention, though, Pansy!'

At this she reasonably softened. 'Are they still going out?'

The girl looked like she didn't want to answer.

'Well?' hissed Pansy.

At that moment Draco Malfoy strutted into the room smugly. Pansy wondered if he'd heard their conversation. He, otherwise, was mentally scanning the room. Sat in the largest couch were Pansy and one of her little friends,(though by little he didn't mean physically, since she was bigger than Pansy herself) a fifth year boy fast asleep in the armchair by the roaring yellow fire, and another girl, sat facing the flickering tongues in the fireplace, shadowing her face with orange and yellowy light as she worked.

Her brown locks swept in front of her face, shielding her, but Draco could easily tell who it was. She was wearing a pair of blue and green pyjamas, even though it was only about six O'Clock in the afternoon.

Astoria Greengrass.

She was scribbling on a piece of parchment, smirking at something oblivious to Draco, and holding something golden in her hand.

'What's that?' Draco said before he could think, and Astoria's eyes met his from behind her hair.

'What's what?' Snapped Pansy, who had clearly thought she was the only one Draco could possibly be talking to.

Draco ignored her and went to sit across from Astoria on the floor. The boy in the armchair woke with a snort and a snuffle.

'I think it's a galleon.' Said Astoria, with a curious tint to her voice.

'You think? How can you think-' Pansy butted in, but Astoria too ignored her.

'It has weird little numbers on it instead, like a date or a sequence..' 

'Lemme see.' Draco mumbled, taking the galleon-like thing. Just as Astoria had said, the galleon was just as round and just as gold, but held a sequence of numbers around it, each two didgits separated by a full stop.

'I want to see!' Wailed Pansy. She seemed to have been abandoned by her friend.

'It must be a date,' Astoria murmured, 'It matches this year, at the end, see?'

'If it was, it'd be two weeks..' Replied Draco.

Astoria nodded, and suddenly Draco knew what it was. He'd seen Dean Thomas staring sadly at one, and Draco had thought Dean was just poor or something, but Loony Lovegood had been asking Ginny Weasley if she'd seen her galleon.. But Luna said it like it was her only galleon, and it couldn't have been. So it must have been something else.

'I have to go and give someone something.'

'Who? What?' Screeched Pansy, almost falling off the couch with eagerness.