20. Echo House

Derek's P.O.V

   "Still nothing?" Chris asked while I tried to listen to what the deputy said. "Derek?"

   "Hold on

   "Hold on." I replied. I get that he's stressed, but he shouldn't be so impatient.

   "Hey, where's the sheriff?" The deputy asked.

   "Stilinski's out for the day, so the Katashi murder is now a federal investigation. Everything here that wasn't blown up needs to be placed in Lockup." I heard another deputy answer. That's not good for us.

   "You were right. They're moving all the evidence." I confirmed.

   "Was there anything about the murder itself? Any other details?" Chris questioned.

   "Just about putting Katashi's things in a federal lockup and something about Stilinski being out for the day." I responded. "You know, if all of this is true, people are dead because of Stiles."

   "But is it really Stiles? Remember, we've had this problem before." He's talking about Jackson. I know he's right and that Stiles is controlled by the nogitsune same as Jackson was controlled by his master.

   "But we got lucky with Jackson." I commented. "What happens when you don't get lucky?" I need Jade to be here and help me think. I need her to calm me down. I feel like we're losing. Where is she? She didn't answer the phone and that made me feel extremely worried, on top of he worries I have on my shoulders.

   "I guess it depends on how much or how little of Stiles is left." Chris shrugged. "You ever heard of the berserkers?" Yes, I've been told about them. Especially because Jade's family were werejaguars who used to control them, until her father cut that decision. I've never met a berserker in my life.

   "Germanic warriors. They wore the skins of bears to channel their ferocity."

   "They didn't just wear them. They became them. You know, a couple of years ago, a family came to us for help with their son. This group of teenagers, they were doing all sorts of rituals with animal skins. Somehow they tapped into it. But with berserkers, the human side doesn't last long. They're not tempered by the moon." Maybe Jade's father understood how inhumane it is to do that. No wonder he refused to do it. I remember how different he was from all the adult that were around when I was little. He had strong morals.

   "He killed people?"

   "He tore them apart. Eventually, I had to tell the family their son was gone. It took three of us to take him down. Almost every bullet we had. And when it was over, I felt no remorse. None. I knew that kid was long gone." Why is he trying to tell me this story?

   "Would you feel any remorse putting Stiles down?"

   "Stiles? Yes." He answered. "But not a nogitsune."

Jade's P.O.V

   I was at the loft, trying to figure out a way how to get to Derek. He called from the police station and I was unable to answer. But I understood he is in trouble. I don't know how I'll save him. Who knows what he had gotten himself into. I want him to be safe, not to be a fugitive again...

   "Do you think one day everything will be calm and quiet again?" I asked Derek as we were lying down on our bed, staring at the ceiling. Everything had been so hectic lately... I couldn't believe we got the time to just do nothing together...

   "It'll only hapen when we'll leave this place." He began. "But you know it's more complicated than that." I turned my head to look at him. My head was on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. But not in the way we supernatural use our super-hearing, in a way humans listen to their loved ones heartbeat. I loved listening like this. It has more intimacy in it. "Once you'll be able to let go of Scott-"

   "Why is it on me?" He chuckled. What am I missing?

   "Because you have these mother instincts that makes you unable to look away from them. You have motherly love towards Scott." Mother instincts? What is he talking about? "Don't look so confused. You know I'm right."

   "I disagree on you."

   "You can disagree as much as you want, but if you ask Scott, he'll the same."

   "Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever." I rolled my eyes. That made another laugh roll down his lips. Why is he laughing at me?

   "This is so cute. You see why we'll never be able to leave Beacon Hills? It's up to you whether we leave this place or not. Once you say the word, we'll be out of here." It's not that easy.

   "They need our help, Derek... I can't just leave them. They need a mentor, same as we needed. They aren't ready to face the supernatural world. I want to help them as much as I can."

   "I still think you're adorable." I shook my head. He held me tighter, making me chuckle a little. "I can stay like this forever."

   "I wish we could."

   "Don't lose hope. As long as we're together, everything is good. No matter what happens." Hearing him say that is more than magical to me. I feel so safe with him. I missed it.

   "I love you."

   "I love you, too."

   When will we ever get to be alone again? Ugh, this is so not important. I need to find a way to help Derek. To get him to out of the trouble he had gotten himself into. I put on some clothes. Let's get to the police station and investigate a little. I need more information.

 ☼