3. Blissless Ignorance

Monday had once again rolled around, forcing Camila out of her slumber for a new day of god forsaken school.

She crawled out from beneath her covers and fixed her shorts and tank-top straight, the tangled mess they were in signifying she had not gotten the greatest of nights sleep that evening, tossing and turning in the twilight.

Camila headed downstairs to the kitchen to fix some quick breakfast, basking in the morning silence. Camila liked it this way, she would get up just a little earlier than the rest of the Cabello's, make a pot of coffee although she rarely ever drunk the stuff, and then make herself some toast. This allowed her to get ready avoiding the commotion of the rest of her family rushing around in the morning, not to mention a vacant bathroom by the time she needed to use the facility.

Sluggishly dragging herself to the kitchen bench, Camila tiredly popped some bread into the toaster before an unanticipated noise startled her from behind.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, I just wanted to grab something to eat before I head out." Lauren approached the fridge, retrieving the butter before collecting a knife from the drawer. Just as Camila's toast popped, the green-eyed wonder grabbed the hot slices and headed back to the summer house, butter and all.
All Camila could do was stare in astonishment of what Lauren had the audacity to just do, all within less than 24 hours of moving in.

That morning Dinah had no need to text Camila to let her know she was waiting for her in the driveway, Camila was already out there, sitting on the steps below her front porch awaiting her ride to school.

"I see the sign is gone, I take it your folks changed their mind huh," Dinah said, as the brunette climbed into the passenger seat.

"Nope."

"Nope?"

"Lauren Jauregui moved into my back yard." With that, Camila clicked her seat belt into place and sat in silence for the rest of the journey.

___________________________

The first bell of the day rang, signalling everyone go to their respective classes for first period.

Camila had Media with Mr. Robinson.
Mr. Robinson and Lauren Jauregui.
Sat right next to her.

This did provoke a certain anxiety in the young brunette at first, but calmed down when she realised how the whole thing with herself and Lauren works; sure they can talk for hours on end online but as soon as they meet in the real world they almost act like strangers. This boded well for Camila, as it meant that Lauren would probably not talk to her, much less acknowledge her existence.

"Alright class, I know it's only the second lesson we've had since we've come back from the break, but we're going to start a new assignment, and you better take this seriously guys, it's worth 30% of your final grade."

Groans spread throughout the classroom as students complained about being given too much work and already having assignments for other classes, as though it would change the fact that we had to do this one.

"It's not all bad though, you're to complete this project in pairs. I took the liberty of choosing the pairings before hand, as you may notice the new desk arrangement is in two's." Her stomach drops as she realises what this meant, turning around to meet Dinah's sympathetic eyes as Mr. Robinson confirms her worst fear.

"The person next to you will be your partner in this assignment."

Feeling a soft nudge against her shoulder, interrupting her thoughts of self-pity, she casts her attention to the culprit, "hey partner," the green-eyed wonder smiled.