4. Moon

Camila had been staring at her phone with earnest intention for around an hour now, considering whether to send a message to Lauren, apologising for her own dire case of foot-in-mouth syndrome.

She had come home from school and collapsed instantly onto her mattress, this was an activity that seemed to occur more and more often with Lauren's presence. Camila had traveled over a lot of pot holes in her life, but none could have prepared her for the one she had just driven over without caution.

The young Latina decided against the message, understanding that if someone were to insult one of her friends and she were to receive a text to find resolution, it would not be appreciated. The hypothetical thought alone of someone acting like that with her about Dinah or Ally stirred her angry. Camila was known for her compassion. It's what made her likeable. She was never the prettiest, or the smartest or the most talented. But god was she the most compassionate. Was.

Camila eventually gave in on staring at her phone with burning tired eyes, as her consciousness lost control long enough for sleep to evade her tense senses.

_________________________

Camila awoke, thinking that the morning sun had been burning holes in her slumber, but as her eyes drifted open she soon realised the room was still dark, albeit a radiating white glow from the window, that resonated peace through the girl. The moon like a ghostly gallion, but it's  reflective light like a compass to prosperity. Her phone read 12:14am but her mind said adventure. This was particularly unlike Camila, but still she found herself climbing out of bed and slipping on her shoes, still in the clothes she had been wearing for the day.

When Camila had turned 16, unknown to her parents, Dinah and Ally were her only friends. Her parents had a special fund that they had been saving for the girl to have the party of her dreams. Or more so, their dream of her dreams. In actuality, Camila's dream party included a large Pizza and her two best friends, and so the savings were given to her as a gift instead.

Ordinary 16 year old girls in Miami might have blown the money over a weekend on the beaches, but Camila had a different plan.
Ever since moving into this house, her bedroom had been quite barren, aside from a thin layer of mint green paint that her mother had chosen, but Camila wanted more. This room was where she spent most of her introverted life, her most creative and intelligent thoughts came from between these four walls. Camila needed change, and suddenly she had the funds to do so.

Now, these walls were horizontal planks of wood, stained and glossed, as though this were her own little cabin in a forest somewhere. The coving and skirting were painted a bright yellow, while soft white and blue fairy lights traced the edges of the room and the prismatic ceiling. As for property, the room was scarce, most of her stuffed toys and dolls were given to her younger sister Sofi, so her shelves were filled with just books. A picture frame with a memory or two hung here and there, and her room was complete with a Gibson Hummingbird guitar, that she had inherited from her grandfather, on a stand in the corner next to her large bed. This was her home. And now she was sharing.

Camila slipped on her jacket and exited her balcony doors. Dinah had given her a rope ladder so that they could sneak out to a One Direction concert a few years earlier, and pleasantly for Camila it remained there on the balcony floor. The chocolate-orbed Latina climbed down the scarily unreliable piece of equipment into the back yard.

"What the hell are you doing?"

The whisper-yell startled Camila, enough for her to fall from the last three rims of the ladder.

"God, are you okay?" The voice moved closer to offer a pale hand for the younger girl to grab.

"I'm fine, just ignore me, Lauren."

"You climb out of your room on a piece of string, then fall on your ass in the middle of the night and I'm suppose to ignore you?"

"Yeah, that would be much appreciated."

"What are you up to Camila?"

"I-" The coarse-haired cuban looked to the ground as though she were embarrassed, before continuing. "I wanted to go for a walk. The moon told me to."

"The moon said that did it? Are you high?"

"Lauren just leave me alone." She sighed.

"No. I live here too now. C'mon if you're not sleeping you can get inside and help me with this stupid project. Tell the moon it can talk to you some other time."

Lauren led the girl into the summer house, it hadn't changed much from the last time Camila had been inside of it. The only sign that anyone was even living there were the boxes dotted everywhere which Lauren had yet to unpack.

There was a rug rolled up in the corner which the Cabello's had left there themselves after constructing the site. The green eyed girl gave it few hard pats to disturb the sitting dust from its fibres before rolling it out on the floor for the two of them to sit on, in the absence of any more suitable furniture.

Lauren tossed a notebook and pen toward Camila on the rug before pulling two similar textbooks from another unpacked box to her left.

"How come you have so many school books?" Camila asked, under the orange glow of the room.

"I move a lot, a lot of schools, a lot of books."

The green eyed girl opened her textbook and picked up a notebook and pen for herself before starting.

"Okay so the Hypodermic Syringe Theory, have you thought about something you can do that agrees with the-"

"Lauren I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to say what I did. If I had known Normani was your friend I never would have said it."

"If you had known Normani was my friend you still would have said it Camila. Just not to me. You really don't get it, i'm not the one you need to apologise to, and saying it out loud isn't the problem, the fact that you even think that she could be plastic or fake is disgusting-"

"Lauren I-"

"Maybe you should use yourself as an example for this project. You need to re-evaluate you perspectives." Lauren finished leaving a pause of silence between the two.

Camila put down the notebook and stood up, turning around to leave and go on the walk she had fallen from a ladder for.

"Camila where are you going?"

"You don't want me here, I need to re-evaluate my perspectives."

"I do want you here and there is work to be done."

"Why? Why would you want me here after what I said?"

The green-eyed girl ran her fingers through her black mane before continuing.

"Because I believe in people. In second chances. I believe that people run deeper than their skin and their words. And that's my perspective."

"Oh."

"Yeah, oh. Sit back down Camila?"

_________________________

A.N/ Follow me on twitter @FifthHype, my DM's are always open.
Make good choices💛