before we leave 10

The following day I informed the children that the 'school' will stay open but that Mrs. Thornton will take over the teaching for the time of my leave. There is a lot of negative response. "I think it is very kind and generous of Mrs. Thornton to offer to teach,"I mind the children. 

"Miss, but Mrs. Thorton, she is so scary," one of the younger children informs me. I have to force myself not to grin. I think I know what she means. 

"Well I have asked Mrs. Thornton to be kind to you," I reassure the children, "do you think you will be able to be kind towards her?" I ask them. I want them to realize that a person such as Mrs. Thornton is also only a human being and that she too has feelings. 

"Yes, Miss Elizabeth," most of the children chorus back. I smile. I think the children as well as Mrs. Thornton, are in good hands now, I do hope so anyways.

On my way out I cross paths with John. "Miss Elizabeth," He lifts his hat slightly. 

"Mr. Thornton, John," I add quickly, "I was wondering, did I offend Mrs. Thornton?" John half grins, I can't believe it, I have never seen him smile so much before. 

"No, Miss Elizabeth, on the contrary, my mother is actually quite impressed by your doings and with the fact, that you have so boldly addressed her. You see my mother may seem a bit imposing at times." Nervously I smile back at him. 

"Well John, I will see you when I get back then." It is not that I don't want to stay and talk , no I am just so very nervous in his company and I am simply lost for words now. 

He nods, "I do hope you have a positive stay and that Miss Mary will get better. I will make sure that my mother, will maintain a considerate attitude towards the children." If I'm not mistaken then he has meant this last part to be humorous. I throw him another unsure smile. " Miss Elizabeth," again he lifts his hat and then he walks off. It will be hard not seeing him for a while.

After the weekend, a carriage arrives to take Mary and me to the sea. I have packed for the both of us. The clinic we are going to is very grant and the people staying there, are of the rich kind. I don't want Mary to feel uncomfortable or for anybody to look down on Mary. The carriage stops in front of Higgins's house to fetch Mary. The neighbors come out of their houses to see what this is all about but they have grown quite used to strange things happening at Higgins house, due to my friendship. Before we enter the carriage, Mary takes a wash. A bath would have been ideal but not possible, so she wipes herself off with a wet flannel and soap. Then I help her to put on a pretty light blue dress with cream colored embroidery. I have worn the very same dress only once or twice because it is too tight, although I have a slim waist. Mary tho, because of her illness could practically be considered scrawny and so it fits her perfectly. Afterwards, I do her hair as it is the fashion. 

When she is finished we present her to Higgins and the children, she looks so beautiful, that Higgins has once again tears in his eyes. 

The children hug us and once again they beg to be taken along. It makes me feel very torn, of cause I would love to take them along but I fear that Mary wouldn't be able to rest as she should and they would certainly cause a stir at the clinic. I might be able to pass Mary off as 'one of us' but the children is an entire different matter. Higgins hugs me too: "Thank you!" He says once again, his voice deep with emotion. Then he hugs Mary, he lays his forehead against hers for a while, "Take care, my child," he whispers. 

Then we are on our way. We drive past the Mill and to my delight we drive past John. Excitedly I wave at him, "Goodbye," I call although he wouldn't be able to hear me. At first, he doesn't seem to recognize me but then he waves back.
"Miss Elizabeth," Mary says in surprise," I think you like Mr.Thornton!" I blush, my head seems to be burning, "You do!" Mary giggles nervously. This whole trip is making her a bit giddy, excited and anxious at the same time. How hard it is for me to hide my emotions, I am embarrassed but then again.. Mary is not making fun of me, she rather seems delighted. Oh but had it been so obvious? If I'm this easy to read, did John have an equal realisation? I burn inwardly... but I try not to think about it... Mary needs me now, she needs me to distract her.

It takes many hours before Norwich comes insight, the clinic itself is just outside of Norwich closer to the sea. As soon as we pass the last houses, I smell the sea and I can feel the longing once again. I love the seaside so very much. Unfortunately, Mary feels a little run down now and exhausted and I'm glad for her sake that we are at the end of our journey. Thankfully, she has managed to sleep some in the carriage, just as well Uncle urged me to take thick blankets along and various cushions. (New once that is, the old once I gifted to the children. I couldn't have taken them back home, the sudden reoccurrence would have been more curious than their disappearance.) 

My Uncle; I have to think about him for a moment. He didn't mention the teaching although he must have been curious about it, after the Thornton's visit. I am not sure how to breach the subject for I'm still worried he will not approve, but somehow I get the feeling that he knows? Perhaps he does and if he does he doesn't seem to mind, otherwise, he would have surely said something? He is due to visit us after a few days, so I decide that I will talk to him. I will tell him the truth and explain myself and somehow I think he will be alright. He has changed a lot and so have I. 

We are welcomed by some of the staff. I state my name and immediately the response is very positive. It is a well-known fact at the clinic that I have great riches and I have always been able to receive the best care, because of it. Mary is gently placed into a Wheelchair, they address her with Miss Higgins. I can see Mary is nervous but I think I prepared her well enough. When Mary found out she was to go to the seaside she had been ecstatic but after finding out she was to go to a grant clinic, she had been petrified. So I gave her small lessons on etiquette and I explained to her that in a lavish dress and with a lot of money she could basically behave as rudely as she wanted and she would still be treated with respect, as unfair as it is. I assured her that her mannerism was superior to that of a lot of so-called rich people.

We were shown to our rooms. I have requested a two bedroom suite. The nurses left us soon after, with the promise a doctor would be around shortly to have a look at Mary. I push Mary so she can look out of the window. There in front of us lays the bright blue of the vast sea. I am pleased the sun is shining and her first glimpse of the sea is this breathtaking. she is very quiet. I can see she is in awe. After a while she looks up at me with tears in her eyes, she is too moved to speak. I look at her and my heart is so very full: "Thank you," I stammer. 

She bursts out laughing: "Oh Miss Elizabeth, how funny you are," I don't quite understand.