Love prevails 21

I am so so very angry with myself, sometimes I still act like a spoiled rich girl, who thinks life is just a fairytale and I meddle. On our way home in the carriage, Mary is very quiet. She looks out of the window. She is frowning, still angry with me. After a while, her face softens and she actually starts to grin. She turns towards me: "Oh Elizabeth sometimes you are impossible but I do love you so! I have to admit that I indeed already like Mr. Tape. He seems so different to all the other man I have met. I believe he looks beyond status and if I'm not mistaken then he allows emotions to be a part of his everyday life."

I am most excited: "He does, doesn't he. Oh, Mary he truly is a darling! Please do give him a chance!" The rest of our journey turns out to be cheerful, I am so very relieved. 

The week after, Mary receives an invite from Mr. Tape. There is going to be a congress about the welfare of the workforce. I know John is going too. Interesting choice of a first date but I believe it to be just the right thing for  James and Mary. Sure enough, Mary is over the moon. She thinks it highly romantic. He is so thoughtful, she announces. Well, that's sorted then. I smile my hopes high.

The congress does interest me too so in the end, we all go. I mean. Mary goes with James and I go with John. I try to stay out of Mary's way whilst at the congress because I want her to have as much alone time with James as possible. 

The congress is very heated. There are to oppositions. One that is for the workforce and one that is against it. Not many solutions are found that day and the congress get's postponed but at least something is starting to happen. John and I sign a petition and I donate a substantial sum to the cause. I feel very strongly that something needs to be done. Some of these so-called workers are my best friends. So I inform myself at this very same congress as to where I can get involved. 

John doesn't mind, he is very supportive. He knows about my strong feelings involving this case. He himself is still very occupied finding a new opportunity to provide workplaces and to make a living. He is looking into toy making, something that is slowly on the rise and something I would very much adore. He is talking about watching the children play to see what toys would be welcomed. Also, should he go ahead with this idea, he would want to involve actual children to help him with ideas and designs. How I love him so!!! He is simply wonderful! 

Well for all you know it, Mary doesn't stop talking about James, after this event. James did this and James said that, I can't help but smile. I knew it! But I keep those thoughts to myself, because even so things seem to work out as I had planned, I still feel awful that for the way I went about.   And James? He seems like a changed man, he smiles and he is full of romantic ideas. 

Sometimes I'm so happy I think to myself, how is this even possible? 

I have also been to visit Mrs. Thornton, I forgot to mention this. It was a little awkward at first, she had been her usual stony-faced and the conversation did not go easy. The reason for this soon became clear to me, she is simply afraid that John will get hurt again. I had to reassure her twice that I am indeed very strong and hardly ever get ill. I appreciate her, she means well and she truly loves John. In the end, she did smile and she mentioned that she is very glad John has met me. I really ought to go and see her more often and I will, even though it is very tiring to visit her because she is so sinister. But knowing the hard times she had to endure I understand why she is the way she is. 

I have also found a new location to teach. Being back in front of the children nearly had me cry, it is good to be back and the children are so thankful that the teaching is happening again. Some of the children that I had been teaching before have changed, they have lost a loved one in the fire and that is evident in their everyday life. It can cause them to be disruptive at times but because I am aware of their grief I try to be extra gentle. Some days I am occupied with the movement for the workforce and on those days Mrs Thornton takes on the teaching. It does her good and so I don't feel at all guilty to be away.

Months later

Spring has returned and John's toy-making business is doing pretty well although he is new in the trade. He believes that this is down to the fact that he really does take the time to watch children play and that he involves children in the inventing of the toys and in the testing aswell. I believe he is going to be a great father one day!

Our wedding day was set to be on April the 26th. Fortunately, it is a sunny day although it is still rather chilly. I am so very very excited I lumber about more than I usually do. I really hope and pray that I will not trip over my dress in the church. Needless to say, Mary is my bridesmaid. Her dress is nearly as pretty as mine. I wanted it to be this way. The seamstress had been and taken our measurements, Mary and I had been so excited. My dress is, white of cause, with much lace and embroidery. I wanted it to be modest and yet playful in a way and the seamstress has captured my wishes so well. Mary's is lilac, with cream coloured embroidery. She froze in awe at the sight of her dress. She looked pale and tears were running down her face. "Is something not right with the dress?" I asked her. It was really a foolish question, by now I should know that Mary is still new to riches. 

Hours later we are on our way to the church. Mary, Uncle the children and I. The children walk into the church first, they carry baskets of flowers for after the wedding. Uncle leads me in. For a split second, I think about my dear father who, if he would have been around still would have let me into the church. But then I look at my Uncle who looks so proud and happy and I can not help but smile, he truly has become my father. Mary follows us carrying my veil, she is proud and a little overwhelmed but she is a wonderful bridesmaid. 

John is waiting for me at the front, his face somehow stony. I know that he is exceedingly nervous, he told me the night before. His eyes look with mine and he seems to relax a little. 

The sermon speaks about love, forgiveness, and kindness. About how love prevails and looking back, I can see this very clearly, love did prevail. It also speaks about a love far greater then that of men. It speaks about Jesus and how he loved so much, that he died for us so that we can be reconciled with our heavenly father. It speaks about how Jesus is always there for us and that he protects and guides. This to becomes clear to me now. I feel drawn to this and I know that I want to find out more. If life, the life that is still to come now, is going to turn out as lively and turbulent as it has been so far, I can most certainly use some Devine help.

And then we are man and wife! John and I, my kind and amazing John!
We have chosen to celebrate in a smaller round. We did not invite all of the high society as it would have been the custom, no, we invited simply our friends and those in favor of us! It is an evening full of laughter, dancing, and joy and much to eat. I feel a boisterous kind of joy watching the children, taking everything in. Their eyes big and full off marvel. At some stage Edward comes to stand infront of me, he seems a little shy. He has grown so much, a tall skinny boy but he looks healthy, not like the little boy i once met. He looks up at me: " Miss Elisabeth," he says bowing and blushing at the same time, "I do not think there is any women in this whole world that can match your beauty. " I laugh and wrap my arms arround him. "Thank you!" I say making him blush even further, really he does not want to be hugged anymore, too old for that he says, but today he sort of allows me. He looks so much like a little gentlemen actually, his manners too match this knew image. I do hope he will not forget his upbringing and most of all will never be ashamed of it though. I guess he has to learn quite a bit still but he has also learned so much already. It makes me realise how much time has passed and actually we have all learned so much.
I watch Mary being with James or the laughing face of my Uncle and even Mrs. Thornton who for once can not resist smiling! It has been an amazing journey...

That night, when all have said goodbye. I find John's arms and lips.  No longer do we have to wait, no longer do we have to keep a safe distance. I shiver in anticipation while he slowly unties my dress, he is gentle and thoughtful but he too quivers in anticipation. We had to keep this fire under control for so long. Once the dress has fallen to the ground, i can feel his hands and lips upon my bare skin, exploring. At first shy, perhaps even fearful but with every inch covered he becomes more certain, as if with every inch he becomes more aware of the fact that I am his.  Entirely new sensations flood my existence so wonderful, so intoxicating but equally innocent.... it feels as every fibre of my being is alive...and then John and I fully become one. 

THE END