Chapter 1: Head Girl and Head Boy

*Flashback*
{Lily Pov}

"I don't want your help, you filthy little Mudblood," my former best friend's voice rang out.

"On second thought, Potter, leave him up there a little while longer," I snap angrily. 'He isn't worth your tears, Lily.' I tell myself, turning away.

"Lils, wait. I'm sorry!" Sev calls after me, but I don't stop until I reach an empty classroom.

I hear footsteps following me, and I turn around, saying, "Don't bother, Sev. Just leave me alone!" Then I see who it really is, Potter.

I slide down against the wall and let down my guard. Potter puts an arm around my shoulder, but I don't have the energy to swipe it away. Instead, I lean my head on his shoulder and cry.

"I hate to see you hurt, Evans." he says quietly.

"Then leave." I croak back.

"You should know by now that I'm not going anywhere."

"He was my best friend." I tell him.

"You can do so much better than him." Potter replies.

"He was like a brother to me. He was the person who told me that I was a witch. I didn't believe him at first, thought he was being mean to me, but then I got my letter. I never imagined he would hurt me like this." He doesn't reply.

We sit in silence until Potter looks at me and says, "Evans, will you go out with me?"

I stand up in rage, "Here I was thinking you were actually being nice to me, thinking that maybe we could have a shot at being friends! But no, you aren't any better than him!"

I turn to leave, but Potter grabs my wrist. "I get that you hate me, but please know that I would never even think about calling you what he did." With that, he leaves the room.

Present-Day
{James Pov}

I see her. Lily Evans. Ignoring whatever Sirius was going on about, I go to help her with her trunk. "Evans!" She looks up and turns away when she sees me.

"No, Potter, I will not go out with you." she tells me with an eye-roll.

"Actually, I just wanted to help carry your trunk." I say with a grin.

Her face changes to a look of confusion, "I think I can manage, Potter, but thanks."

"Well if you need anything, just find me." I tell her.

"Anything?" she asks in amusement.

"No matter what." I assure her with a cheeky grin.

"So you would stop pranking first years?" she asks with a defiant look in her eyes.

"Oh, c'mon, Evans! We don't prank first years, only the real tall ones." I argue.

She looks like she is about to smile, but stops herself and says, "Well, Potter, if you could move, I have a train to board." And with that, she walks off.

                      Present-Day
                       {Lily Pov}

"Make sure to tell us who the Head Boy is when you get back!" Dorcas calls after me.

"Will do." I reply, rushing towards the Head's Compartment.

I run straight into Potter. "Sorry, didn't see you there." I mumble automatically, before actually looking to see who it was.