Chapter 10: Quidditch and Butterbeer

Present-Day
                         {Lily Pov}

"Lily, wake up." I hear James tell me in a sing-song voice. "I don't want to." I groan. "C'mon, the Quidditch game's today." he reminds me. "I'm not going. I'm too tired." "Please! Do it for me?" James begs. "I can't get up." "I'll drag you out of bed if I have to." he threatens. "Just let me sleep!", I argue

He leans close to my face and whispers, "Bed time's over, Lilyflower." I smell his minty breath and suppress a smile, "Don't call me that!" "I'll stop when you get out of bed, Lilyflower." James continues with a grin. "Okay, I'll get up." 'I can't deal with that smile this morning.'

"Almost ready, Lily?", James calls from outside of my door. "I've got everything other than my hair fixed." He opens the door, and sighs, "C'mon, Lily, is it going to become a tradition where I always do your hair for you?" He picks up my hair brush with a sigh. "It isn't like I'm forcing you to do anything. You don't have to if you don't want to." I shrug. He begins humming as he brushed my hair. "You know, Lily, I really like your hair." James tells me. "Thanks, I used a new type of shampoo today." I reply. He buries his face in my hair and sniffs, "It smells like vanilla." "Is that a good thing?" "Of course!"

"Well, we need to go if we want breakfast." I say, picking up my satchel bag. "What's in the bag?" "Books." I shrug. "You are not bringing books to a Quidditch game." James argues, trying to snatch my bag. "What if I get bored?" I whine. "You won't– I promise." he replies.

Present-Day
{James Pov}

"How did you convince Lily to go to a Quidditch game?" Marlene asks in awe. "It wasn't hard, really. Other than the fact that she wouldn't wake up and that she wanted to bring her books." "You nervous, Prongs?" Sirius asks, taking a seat beside me. "Not for the game as much as Hogsmeade after." I shrug. "Wait, what's happening after?" Marlene questions. "Lily agreed to hang out with us." I tell her. "What?! And she didn't tell me?!" "I just asked her last night. She probably didn't have time." "Lily!" Marlene calls! Lily looks up from her conversation with Alice, "What?" "You didn't tell me you had plans this afternoon!" "Well, I didn't until last night."

                      Present-Day
                        {Lily Pov}

I watch eagerly as James positions himself to make another goal. We stand and clap as it goes in, putting us twenty points over Slytherin. "I think they've spotted the snitch!" Frank comments from beside Alice. "And what does that mean?" I ask. "It means that whoever gets it first gains 150 points for their team and ends the game!" he tells me. "So either team could win?" I press on eagerly. He nods, and Alice says, "You're right, they're both diving for it!"

Both Gryffindors and Slytherins tense up, hoping their seeker will be the one to catch the snitch that will bring the game to an end and win the game for their House. "Gryffindor wins!" I stand up and cheer with the rest of the people around me! James looks over to us and smiles. 'Oh, how much I hate that smile!'

"Lily, did you like the game?" James asks me as we all walk down the path to Hogsmeade. I shrug, "I don't think I'm really a fan." He frowns, and I elbow him in the shoulder, "Just kidding. It was fun." He smiles and says, "I knew you'd like it."

"So, how much did James have to beg for you to agree to come with us?" Sirius asks. They all turn to look at me. "He just asked." I tell them. I can tell none of them believe me– I can't say I'm surprised considering I've never just said 'yes.' "No, for real." Sirius pesters on. "I'm not lying." "Then why didn't you say yes to him any other time he asked?" Peter questions. "Because he wasn't my friend." I shrug. James smiles. 'Stop smiling! It's weirdly adorable.' 

"Five butterbeers, please." Sirius tells Rosemerta. "Coming right up." she replies with a wink. She walks away, and Remus begins talking about one of our classes. I'm not really paying attention because, as I look out the window, I see Severus is watching us. "Lily?" James shakes my shoulders. "What?" "Remus asked you a question." he tells me. "Oh, sorry, Remus." "I just asked what you were looking at." he shrugs. I force a smile on my face, "Nothing in particular." James peers behind me, and his hand squeezes my knee. He must see Severus too because he whispers, "It's alright, he won't bother you." I try not to think about his hand still on my knee, but end up failing miserably.

The butterbeers arrive, and Rosemerta pouts when Sirius ignores her attempts at flirting. I wonder why; usually, he would pounce at the chance to get a girl as nice-looking as her. I sip on my butterbeer and notice that Severus isn't standing where he had been earlier. "So, any plans for Christmas break, Lily?" Sirius asks. "Well, I'm meeting my sister's fiancé." I reply lamely. "You don't seem too happy about that." Remus comments. "I'm not. All of the guys she's ever brought home are horrible."

"What kind of horrible?"James asks. 'I didn't know there were types of horrible.' "Well, there was one guy who burped every five seconds. There was another that wouldn't shut up,literally only talked about himself. Let's see... there was this guy who she dated for about a year; he couldn't get my name right worth anything. I mean, how hard is it to remember a four letter name?!" "And what is your sister's fiancé like?" Peter asks. I shrug, "I've never met him."

"So, how did you like it?" James asks me as we all walk down the pathway. "It was alright." I say indifferently. "You mean it wasn't the best time of your life?" he exclaims, feigning surprise. "Not the best." "How about we do this again next week?" James suggests. I can see the hope on his face, and it causes me to smile, "Sure. Why not?"

We continue walking, then I see him- Severus, leaning against a tree. "I've been waiting for you, Lils!" he calls, motioning me over to him. I don't move. "Just keep walking." James whispers in my ear. I force myself to walk alongside James. "You know it's not real, Lily! You know it! He's using you! He doesn't care!" Severus calls out to me! I stop and turn around. So does James. I walk over to Severus and pull out my wand. "Maybe he doesn't care, maybe this is all some silly joke, but he's still a better friend than you. I think I'm willing to take my chances." I tell him quietly. "You're making a mistake, Lils. You should have your wand turned at him, not at me. I'm the victim." he replies. "You're not the victim, Sev; you're the death eater ."

"Lily?"James calls after me as I walk past him. I ignore him– I can't deal with people right now. "Lily, wait!" I keep walking.

Present-Day  {James Pov}

"Lily, are you in there?" I ask, knocking on her door.  I hear a sniffle and open the door. "You alright, Lilyflower?" She nods, not even mentioning the nickname. I sit down beside her on the bed. "Don't let Snape get to you." "I try not to, but he was such a big part of my life and now he's just–" her voice fades off. "I can't say that I understand how you are feeling, but I can say that he isn't worth your feelings." I say. She leans her head on my shoulder and whispers, "Feelings are so complicated." "Tell me about it."