Chapter 13: The Ball

Present-Day
{Lily Pov}

I wake up with my head against James' chest and immediately remember last night. I look at James and notice that he is still asleep. "Hey, James." I say quietly. He opens his eyes and smiles, "Hey, my Lilyflower." "Don't call me that!" "But it's adorable!" he protests! "No it isn't!"

"Today's the day of the ball!" James exclaims! "Really?" I ask? "Yeah, you better get ready because it is going to be amazing!" "I bet Alice and Marlene will be coming up here to get ready." I sigh, standing up.

"Hey, Lily?" James says as I turn to walk out. "Yeah?" "Thanks." "Shouldn't I be the one telling you that?" "I meant thanks for trusting me." he explains. I walk over to him and give him a hug, "I meant thanks for being there." "I'm not leaving." "I don't doubt that."

I get into the shower, taking my time because we have no class today. When I feel like it's been long enough, I turn off the water and dry myself off. I put on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt because I'm not ready to put on my dress for the ball.

I dry my hair and let it lie loose over my shoulders. There is a knock at my door. "Who is it?" I ask. "The most amazing guy you know!" James calls! "Come in!"

"Do I get to fix your hair for the ball?" he asks, sitting down on my bed. "Sorry, James, but I'm just wearing my hair down." I reply, sitting down beside him. "I can still brush it though, right?" "It's just going to get messed up again once I start getting ready." I point out. He pouts. "C'mon, James. It's just one day!" I try to reason with him. He keeps pouting. "Please, James. Stop!" "I just want to fix your hair!" "Fix your own hair!"

"Are you going to breakfast, Lily?" he asks. "I don't think so; you can tell Marlene or Alice to bring me something when they come up to get ready." I reply. "I'll go get something for us both and bring it up here." he offers. "Thanks."

He comes back in a short amount of time with two plates of food. "How did you get back so quickly?" I ask. "I went to the kitchen." he replies. "But that's against the rules!" "Just eat, Lily."

Present-Day
{James Pov}

"So, who are you hoping your partner is for the ball?" I ask as we eat breakfast in our common room. 'Very smooth, James.'  "I don't mind, as long as it's not Severus." Lily shrugs, "What about you?" "Yeah, same. Anyone but Snape." I joke. "For real though." she presses on. "Well, they would have to be my friend because I would rather not dance with someone I barely know. I'd hope for it to be someone who's shorter than me because that would make it a lot easier to dance. Not to mention, their name needs to sound good with Potter as their surname." "Isn't that a little much for a school dance?" Lily asks. "I think they are all reasonable requirements." 'I hope to God Lily's my partner! Lily Potter sounds good, right?'  "I might kill someone if I have to dance with Severus." Lily complains. "As long if you don't kill me." I say. "I wouldn't kill you, James. If you were dead, who would brush my hair?" she replies with a smile. "Does that mean you'll let me brush it today?" I ask hopefully. "Not today." she says.

"Are we getting ready in here, Prongs?" Sirius asks as he enters the room with Remus and Peter close behind. "My room, but don't we have time." I reply. "Not if I want my hair to look perfect! I mean, it always looks perfect– you know what I mean." Sirius says. "Marlene and Alice are getting ready in Lily's room when they decide to show up and you all in my room." I tell them.

Marlene and Alice enter the room only a few minutes later. "Your room?" Marlene asks. Lily nods, standing up and walking off with them.