Chapter 45- The Final Hour

Sometimes, you'll find that the things you want most, are often the things that you will probably never have.

Wait, hold on. Let me try that again.

The things you want most, are the things that you will probably never have.

For instance, right now, I wanted nothing more than to be somewhere warm and sunny, with Conner's arms wrapped around me, and preferably far far away from the psychotic killer monkey, who was smiling at me like I was the World's biggest banana sundae.

Like I said, not gonna happen.

In my current state, I was fairly certain that the only thing keeping me from having a complete psychological meltdown, was the overpowering concern I was feeling for Alex, who was remaining very still and very unconscious in my lap. I soothingly ran a hand through her wild red hair, trying to comfort both her and myself. Well, maybe mostly myself, seeing as she was unconscious.

I still wasn't even sure what had caused her injury, only that it was some sort of blow to the head, judging by the blood sopping the entire right side of her head. It made me wonder why anyone would want to hurt someone as fluorescent as Alex.

"Ahem." A firm hand came out of nowhere and grabbed my chin, yanking my gaze up to meet a shaded pair of eyes. "Now where did those pretty brown eyes of yours run off to?"

A maniacal grin appeared on Aaron's face, and I had to suppress a shiver as his fingers clenched tighter around my jaw until it reached the point of being nearly unbearable. I could feel the blood roaring in my ears as the pain intensified, and for a moment I was sure that my bones were going to snap. Tears pricked at my eyes, but I refused to let them fall and give him the satisfaction of seeing me cry.

"That's better." He roughly released my face, painfully jostling my head in the process. I winced, but kept my mouth shut and my expression impassive.

Blocking out the throbbing of my jaw, I turned my attention back to Alex, partly out of concern and partly as a distraction.

"Right, so let's say we get this show on the road! Huh, ladies?" He stood up straight and shot me a sarcastic smile, that in any other occasion I would have thought to be charming.

I was starting to miss his crazy face. At the very least, when I saw it I knew I was dealing with a nutcase.

I gave a nervous laugh, holding back a wince at the sharp pain when I opened my mouth.

"Well, I see no point in scooting around the subject." He went on cheerfully. "I bet you're curious as to why I'm going to kill you."

At the certainty in his words, another wave of fear washed over me. He sounded so sure of himself, as if there was no doubt in his mind that he was going to follow through with his words.

"Well, it all started when I fell in love with this girl." For a split second, the sadistic gleam in his eye seemed to fade. But before I could be sure, another mock-thoughtful expression masked the emotion. "She was a lot like the two of you, actually."

Well, I had a sinking suspicion as to where this conversation was heading.

"She was kind, intelligent." His flickered appreciatively over me, before moving to Alex, and then returning to me again. "Beautiful."

I shivered and directed my gaze to his feet. Anything to avoid his piercingly obsessive gaze.

"And like the fool I was, I fell for her. Hard." His hand snapped out to push up under my chin, and I let out a small whimper at the sudden burst of agony that exploded in my face. "I'd suggest that you look at me, when I'm speaking to you."

I met his eyes and shakily nodded, but made no move to respond.

"So anyways, you could imagine my surprise when she broke it off between us." His face darkened, and surrounded by the dim lighting and the eerie silence, he truly looked the part of a murderer.

His eyes narrowed. "She, actually had the audacity to break up with me, after I caught her in our bed with another man. So she shatters my heart, and then gets to break up with me and stomp all over it afterwords."

He let out a humourless laugh that made me start to tremble. I was finally getting some insight into his motives. It was what I had been wanting since I had gotten here, and yet I suddenly wished that I could have remained in the dark. Knowing his story just scared me further.

And all I could think about, was how much I wished Conner was here.

"And I never saw her since! The nerve of that-that whore!" His fist clenched around the handle of the knife, and I could visibly see the rage in his eyes multiply. "She's just like you, actually."

I heavily swallowed down the terrified sobs arising in the back of my throat. It felt a lot like trying to swallow a block of lead.

"Seductive," he took a slow step forward. "Charming," another step. "Confident," yet another step, until he stopped right in front of me. "Wicked."

The emotions in my head were jumbling up my thought process, and I was finding it rather difficult to think.

"You walk strut around like you're hot stuff, not even caring about all the people you hurt along the way!" His eyes flashed, and for a split second I was sure that he was going to lunge at me. I could see his pain, I could literally look into his eyes and see all of the rage and hurt bottled up inside of him. "That's because you're all the same."

"And since I can't seem to find her," He drawled out, picking at his fingernails with his blade. "I guess the two of you will have to suffice."

He stepped impossibly closer and crouched, angling his head down so that I could feel his warm breath fan across my neck and collarbone as he inhaled deeply. "It won't quite be the real deal, but at least I get to rid the world of yet another rat."

My entire body was shaking uncontrollably, and if it wasn't for Alex lying in my lap I probably would have wrenched myself away and scrambled back towards the wall.

After a few, agonizing moments, he finally pulled back and stood up again. He shot me one last boyish grin and twirled his knife between his fingers.

"Now, who's first?"

And just as he spoke, there was a loud thunk, a spray of white dust, and then an even louder thunk as Aaron collapsed onto the floor.

"Gee, I'm so glad you thought up this ingenious plan. Really, the absolute brilliance of it is shocking. See? You even knocked creepy-bartender-dude off his feet."

My head snapped up at the sound of Jerry's familiar, sarcastically scathing tone.

And sure enough, right behind where Aaron had been standing, Jerry stood with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face. He looked down at Aaron in distaste, scrunching up his nose at the unconscious man who was now covered in white dust particles. "What was that? A bag of flour?"

"Hey! It was all I had!" Said an achingly familiar voice that made my heart race.

"C-conner?" My voice trembled rather embarrassingly.

And then as his figure stepped into my lime of sight, the world stopped spinning, as my gaze locked with a pair of brilliant green irises. The same straight out of bed hair, the same dimpled grin, and god, the same boy I was so irrevocably in love with.

"Selena!" He breathed out, before I was suddenly shaking in his arms. "God, Selena."

My heart soared, and my stomach was fluttering with butterflies. Right then and there, it didn't matter that I was a second away from being murdered. All that counted was that he was here, with his arms around me and his lips nuzzled into my neck, and he was mine.

"I hate to crash the love fest, but Alex needs to go to a hospital. Like, now." Jerry interrupted. We broke apart long enough for Jerry to swoop in and carefully lift Alex from my lap. "Which brings me to my point. You just knocked out a psychopathic murderer with a sack of flour. Did you think that plan through, like at all?"

I tried to stand, but my legs gave out and Conner just barely managed to catch me and lift me into his arms. He gave me a small, reassuring smile that said it all. Once I was safely tucked away in his arms, he turned back to Jerry to respond.

"Nah, I try not to think too much. It interferes with being nuts. Now let's get out of here before the creepy guy passed out on the floor wakes up."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Before you get all mad at me, I should probably mention that my wattpad has some major glitches. Like, majorly. I have been trying to update for literally weeks -_-

So, sorry!

I know it was short, and didn't make a lot of sense, but have no fear! all will be revealed soon!

Anyways, just tell me what you think!