Eleven

low life, baby

The door behind Amber slams shut, cutting off the loud wailing of police car sirens

Heavily breathing, she ducks down next to Seth, who has slipped into the room before her and now hides next to the window. He pulls off the black mask, and momentarily meets her big eyes.

His gaze screams adrenaline while his body is calm. Typical Seth Gecko. Wild eyes and manner all suave, he motions for her to edge closer to him, cocking his gun in precaution right after. She inhales the hot-headed air between them, sirens echoing in her ears and muddling up any sense for comfort.

Things got a little dicey.

It's one of the ways to explain why the hell the police is already checking rooms for them.

Amber clasps the bag of money tighter. Seth's expression remains tense, and both almost flinch as a pair of knuckles hits the door.

"Policia!"

Several flashlights shine into the room through the window ― fortunately, missing the Gecko and the Marsh girl, which press back against the wall.

This is not how she imagined it to end.

Stop.

With relief, Amber soon hears the police move on to the next room, continuing their search for the two criminals that have robbed a cashing store not far from here ― oblivious to the fact that they've been closer to him than they've thought.

Seth forces her to stay hidden, and only when they hear the vehicles of the police depart, both dare to breath steadily again. Her eyes flicker his way, before she softly brushes her hair out of her face.

"Amber?"

Her head snaps up the exact same moment Seth turns his head to the door.

"¿Estas aquí?"

It's a male voice, whispering behind it.

Amber slowly lifts from the ground, approaching the door with careful steps. She knows who is behind the door.

Night manager.

"Are you ok? Please tell me you're okay."

She can feel Seth's exasperated gaze on her as she draws in a breath. "Estoy bien," she responds loud enough to hear it through the door, giving her best to sound calm. Her acting skills have improved enormously ― these days it is either lie, or get caught.