Nine

it's not about stealing the money
it's about winning.

She clears her throat

She clears her throat. "So what's the plan?"

"You get in there and―"

"No, I mean in general. Are we gonna crash in every motel of this country? Is that how it's gonna be?"

He blows his cheeks, looking somewhat annoyed as he wraps his fingers around the wheel. Sitting in the stolen Nissan outside a new motel, the same old story begins.

"Well, there's no way I can show my face," he says matter-of-factly, "We need passports — new names."

Amber only laughs softly. "Really? You mean Seth Gecko will not exactly work?"

His dark eyes shoot her way as he throws her a look, bothered by the amount of sarcasm in her voice. He makes a gesture, eyes narrowed into slits. "Get in there already."

Amber rolls her eyes. The man watches her, savoring every sweet second of her being close to him as she reaches back to grab a bag from the backseat, but unfortunately for him this moment doesn't last long, and she's out the car quicker than he can blink, heading towards the entrance of the motel.

Seth releases a breath into the darkness of the car, his wary eyes resting on the doors to the front desk ― already starting to count the amount of time she's gone.

She's begun to check in for both of them, seeing as the hunt for the two Geckos has moved more south, and dangerously close to the ground they are walking on at the moment.

Amber suggested she'd do it. In Seth's eyes, the transformation the girl has made from a rather observing girl with smart ways to someone who's ― apart from being more argumentative and confrontational than ever ― street smart and careful, makes it easier to be on the run with her.

Something inside of him hates the fact that circumstances have made her that way, but something about her way of having a mind of her own, not being that type of dependent clingy women he usually had around, makes him enjoy her company even more.

She's his best friend now. Seth snorts. He could have never imagined a girl like her to become that.

Amber's back at soon again, holding the card to a room in her hand with a triumphant grin. Seth leisurely follows her into a room, hands in the pockets of his dark pants and his gaze roaming the hallway around them, checking for any suspicious activity. Luckily, the hallways are empty, and the light shining from the lamps is dim ― no one would recognize him anyway.

Their room is spacious, far bigger than the ones before, and he's pleasantly surprised to see that she took one with a double bed.