Chapter 3

I kept my eyes down on my English book which is in the Ipad: Kim Ji Woon, Kim Ki duk, Kim Ki-young, Lee Cheol-ha and Park Chung hee . Who the hell are these people? I thought this is English we should be learning about Bronte, Shakespeare, Chaucer and Faulkner. I forgot I am in Korea. Huh. I kept my eyes on the Ipad but my thoughts are still in the girl.

We are already in the fourth period, Biology when the bell rang, a nasal buzzing sound, which signals for lunch. I kept my Ipad in my bag then Seung Hyun leaned on my chair to talk to me.

“Isn’t it great that we are classmates, L hyung?” He asked.

Hyung? Hyung is sign of respect in Korea for boys to boys only, which means older friend or older brother.  How can he be younger than me, if we are classmates? I hate to be called hyung.

“Hyung! Hyung! Hyung! Hehe.. Yes, I am younger than you for 2 months. Hehe!! Let’s eat!!” he said.

Every time he says Hyung, I jump. I hate to be called Hyung. How can this small thing be so irritating? He dragged me to the cafeteria, or shall I call the fanciest restaurant I have ever seen. The tables and chairs are arranged perfectly with decorations in it. The students are lining up in the counter. Then we fall in line.

“Fancy right? Hehe.. We have the best chefs in Asia. And by the way, the students are not allowed to pick their own food, the parents are the one. You know, maybe you will eat something that is not for you like if you’re allergic to seafood or something like that.” It was his turn then the person behind the counter gave him a tray. The tray is composed of appetizer, main dish and dessert. The appetizer of course is kimchi; the main dish is beef and dessert is strawberry shortcake. Then when it was my turn the personnel gave me my tray with 2 apples in it with a note:

Two apples a day, keeps the doctor away.

Arghh! Damn it!! I’m pissed!! My father’s scholar has three dishes, and then I only have 2 apples. He really wants me to suffer. Then this note, my mother always tell that this as I ate apples. This is inexcusable!! I really want to throw this tray and runaway from Korea, without turning back. I need to keep calm; when I reach 18 I will be free from this hell. Arghh..

“Hyung! Seat here.” Seung Hyun approached me pointing the chair with my name in it. I really don’t want to lose control here. So instead of eating here, I got out to the cafeteria where they have a garden. I sat in the bench, trying to calm myself. I am breathing in my mouth. Thinking of things that can calm me, my mom, I wish she was with me here today. She was the only who understand me. I remember the time when----

“Oppa!”

I turned to the direction of the voice there I saw a tall boy, facing the girl sitting in the bench. They are arguing, shouting to be exact. But they are not arguing in Korean, the boy is speaking Spanish, while the girl is speaking French. I know this for in America we need to learn Spanish and French. They are speaking in other language. How Strange. Most Koreans usually study Japanese or Chinese. But these people are using western language. I heard some parts of their conversation; I know it is not good to eavesdrop. Eavesdroppers never hear good of themselves, but I think the conversation is not about me.

Girl:  Why are always doing this to me?

Boy: It’s not your business. Okay?? What’s it with you?

Girl: None of my business?? It is my business okay!!

Boy: What will you do?? Huh?? Tell your parents?? I already have a bad record. You have nothing to do with it!!

Girl: I…                                                        

Boy: Shut fuck up! Okay??? You are so irritating!!  I wish you never existed!!

Then the boy left the girl crying. Poor girl. I was supposed to take a bite of my apple, when I clearly saw who the girl is, it is the girl who is in agony.

~Love the way you lie by Skylar Gray