labor - d'angelo russell

for Myrikal
_____

"You're cheating!" D'Angelo Russell cried out.

"I'm not!"

"I trusted you!"

Devin Booker, who had dropped by to visit the soon-expecting couple earlier that day, rolled his eyes. "D'Angelo, stop being such a sore loser. Teanna's just better than you at 2K, fair and square."

"It's just 'cause I'm outnumbered. She's got another human inside of her. I'm playing one versus two right now."

Teanna side-eyed her husband. "You say that like the baby boy in my stomach is playing 2K for me."

"That would be so cool! I'ma train our son to kill in 2K—"

"Maybe you should help him with playing actual basketball first." Devin sighed at his best friend.

D'Angelo huffed. "2K is actual basketball."

"Teanna, this is the man that's about to take care of your child."

"You ain't gon' be my kid's godfather talking smack about me. No sir, not with an attitude like that."

The young woman chuckled at her husband and his best friend's bantering. She relaxed on the couch as she let Devin and D'Angelo grab Xbox controllers and play against each other.

Teanna busied herself on her phone until she let out a nearly inaudible gasp. Placing a hand on her stomach, she groaned at a wave of dull cramps. She disregarded them at first—she had been feeling similar cramps for the past two days.

By the time the boys finished their game of 2K, in which D'Angelo lost again, she realized these cramps were different. They were prolonging and increasingly painful. After they occurred at intervalic periods, the woman knew that the contractions were serious.

"What excuses do you have now, D'Angelo?" Devin bragged.

The Lakers guard huffed. "Y'all some cheaters."

"Boys," Teanna interjected softly.

"You just can't accept an L, can you?"

"You two somehow rigged this against me. That must be it."

Teanna waved her hand. "Hello? Woman going into labor, right here."

"DLo, you lost to me by twenty."

"And I lost to T by twenty, too! See, that proves it."

The woman was tired of the men ignoring her. "My water broke!" She yelled loudly, causing both males to widen their eyes in panic and turn to her.

D'Angelo immediately scrambled towards his wife. "Oh my god! Wait, do I have time to shower? I smell like shi—"

"Shower?" Devin cried out incredulously. His eyes grew larger than Teanna had ever seen them.

Teanna groaned, rubbing her temples. "First off, a shower, seriously? And secondly, my water didn't actually break yet. You two just weren't listening to me." The relief on the boys' faces was nearly comical. "But I'm definitely in labor."