16

A/N: Hey guys! If any of you guys want to send me a cover for my book, I am excepting covers! (I have no idea how you send them to me, please message me if you do.) It's great working with all of you and remember to like any share this with your friends! The more feedback I get, the more I am inspired to write!

"Tell me everything."

I look across the round wooden table, and I am faced with the punk rock girl who leads us here. Thal carefully places her glass down on the table, and it doesn't make a sound. Thal slowly lowers her open hand to lay flat on the table. Her fascination shines through her eyes that fixate one me.

"Well," I say gingerly, "You know a couple of years ago when they locked us all away."

"W-wait," Thal kindly interrupts me, "Why did they lock you up..?"

"Um... Well..." I start, but Ember gracefully steps in.

She puts her hand in the air, "Think of something complicated."

"Um, okay. That's random. Are you going to read my mind or something?" Thal laughs, clearly thinking it's a joke.

Everyone stares at Ember and Ember gives a deadpan look to Thal.

"That's not complicated. That's basic algebra. Think of something a little more complicated. Or maybe something no one else knows," Ember throws a bored sigh, and props herself up on her right elbow. Thal, who is taken aback by Ember's crude comment, then shifts her eyes to the ceiling.

"That's a bit better," Ember reads her mind and smirks at the gaping Thal.

"What was it?" Naomi asks, who crosses her arms on the table.

"Just a little bit of music theory. You like music, huh?" Ember says with the most relaxed casual voice I've heard since we got off the truck, "Oh, and there go the frantic freaking out thoughts... Oh please don't scream... That hurts my ears..."

All the kids laugh at Ember's comment while Thal looks so shocked she's frozen, and Grandma holds a steady serious face.

"Anyway, apparently there were chemicals in the water when we were like three or four-years-old, and that changed the development of our brains. So now we've got these wacky powers, and everyone's is different. It's because there were different variations of the same chemicals in different places that gave us different abilities. So we're all from different places, and by seeing what ability someone has, you can tell from whereabouts the came from. Except for kids like me. They organized us by colors, and the kids like me got Gray... Hence the gray shirt. And there are six colors. Reds, Oranges, Yellows, Greens, Blues, and Grays."

"Oh!" Thal exclaims, "So you have one person for each color! That's cool! Like you each have different abilities!"

I look at Maddie, who's head drops slightly, and I feel the punch of Thal's words in my stomach, "Don't," Maddie looks at me with a pleading gaze.

"Yeah," I say to Thal, "One of each color... Right... Um... Continuing on, Reds read minds as demonstrated by Ember."

I watch Thal open her mouth slightly to make a comment about Ember's name and how her color is red like embers from a fire.

"Don't you dare say anything regarding my name and the color I got," Ember snarls and Thal closes her mouth.

"Oranges," My voice cracks in the middle of the word, as grief tries to cut off my vocal chords, "They have the power of telepathy. Oranges are known to move objects purely with their minds. Yellows have the power of mental manipulation. So, to break it down, they have mind control powers.