3

Between the allegedly sick adults and a couple car crash victims, the day was relatively uneventful. I was thankful it was somewhat quiet and I could concentrate on the patients I had instead of running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I nearly forgot about Ashley until I was paged to the ER.

Ashley stood in her designer ensemble at the check in desk. Sunglasses covered her eyes and her face was still as stone. Even without her heels she would have towered over me. I felt inadequate next to her. My conversation with Giovanni popped into my head and I wondered if this was the type of woman he usually went after. Ashley was the type of woman that would look good next to him. Honestly, I was at a loss for why he chose to sleep with me. He could pull women far above my physical caliber. I knew I wasn't ugly or unattractive by any means, but standing next to Ashley definitely made me regret not putting in more effort.

"Come on back. I have us set up."

She didn't respond. She simply followed me back. I swiped my card to open the doors and stuffed my hands in my pockets. The awkwardness of the situation did not escape me.

We made our way down a wide hall to a more private exam room. I held the door open for her and closed it tightly behind me.

"So," I started. "How far along are you?"

"A month," she responded coldly.

I pulled a bottle out of the cabinet and popped out the pill I needed. I turned back to her and held it in my hand.

"Why don't you just leave?" I rushed.

She crossed her arms and pulled her sunglasses off. Her eye was horribly bruised and red veins spidered through the white of her eye.

"Need another reason?" She bit out.

"Oh," I trailed quietly. "Um, here. I can um-"

"Don't bother. Just give me the fucking pill so I can leave."

I looked down at my hand. It felt so wrong. I couldn't do it. She didn't want it and it went against everything I believed in.

I just couldn't.

"Just leave."

"Give me the pill."

I shook my head. "You don't want it and I can't do it."

She cocked her head to the side and examined me. "Are you insane? He'll kill your brother and then you."

"Not if you never showed up and left the state."

"I don't have the means to do that. I would be homeless."

"You don't have a family?"

She scoffed. "They haven't talked to me in years."

"Does the boss know you haven't talked to them?"

"Of course he knows."

"Then that's the best place for you. Get as far from him as you can and go to the police."

A knock on the door pulled my attention to a nurse.

"Doctor? There is a man out front demanding to talk to you."

My eyes scrunched together. "What does he want?"

"I don't know. He has an injured girl with him, maybe ten years old. He'll only deal with you."

I sighed. "For the love of God," I muttered. "I'll be right there."