Chapter 8

*Ida's POV*

I stormed ahead, my feet stomping the ground below. I heard his panting behind me in an obvious attempt to catch up with me. A hand gripped my shoulder, pulling me back to his speed.

"It seems as if you don't want to walk with me, lass," He smirked, taking his hand off of my shoulder

"I want to get this over and done with, with no distractions along the way," I looked at him, taking in his features. His brown hair was pulled back into a tight ponytail. A scar ripped through his forehead, through his left eyebrow, disturbing the pale skin. He didn't look like he got a lot of sun, his skin was as pale as the clouds above. He looks like he had seen a lot of things, his face mature and aged. 

"We may as well try to get along," He looked away from me and squinted up at the sky.

"Let's get going then, no time for dilly-dallying," I mumble, trying to forget what his face looked like. He was devilishly handsome, to say the least. I shook my head as if trying to shake the thought from my head. Shay was the only one for me. This is why I'm doing this. The only other time I've felt this way was when I made eye contact with the gentleman in the store all that time ago. I turned my head to take another look at him, confirming my thoughts. He was the man I saw. I squinted my eyes, trying to see in more detail. 

"You were the man I saw in the store all those years ago, weren't you?" I asked

"Took you long enough, lass," He chuckled, finally meeting your gaze.

"Why didn't you say anything?" I questioned, my head cocking to the side slightly.

"Then, or now?" 

"Both,"

"I didn't say anything then because, for a start, I was piss drunk. I haven't said anything yet because I wanted you to realise, that's all," He smirked, then turned his head in front of him again. We walked in silence for a short while, my eyes shooting everywhere to determine where we were.

"Are we almost there yet?" I asked, huffing slightly

"Just over there," His gloved hand pointed out towards the small street in front of us to a small building with a sign slowly swaying in the breeze. I started to walk faster, wanting to get inside as quick as possible. 

My hand curled around the brass doorknob, and I tugged it, opening the door. I stepped inside, holding the door my partner behind me. I lead the both of us to a table at the back with a view of the door. I sat down, my eyes instantly surveying the  environment for the guards we had to eavesdrop on. Looking in front of me again, he was nowhere to be seen. My eyebrows knitted together in confusion, then looked behind me again. Interrupting my concentration was the sound of two pints being slammed down on the table. I looked forwards again, watching the man sit down.  

"Should we really be drinking right now?" I chuckled slightly, taking a mug and putting it in front of me. 

"They're not in here yet," He said, taking his mug, "And we hardly know each other,"

"What is there to know?" I asked, feeling instantly vulnerable.

"Your name, for a start. I'm Shay Cormac. It's an honour," His face brightened up as he said his name. I felt my face fall, not caring if he saw. 

"I'm sorry, what was that?" I fretted, looking straight at him. It all made sense. I could see the similarities between his younger self and now.

"Shay Cormac, love. You?" He smirked, watching my every move. My mouth opened, ready to say my name when the doors burst open with our targets behind them. They walked to the bar, leant on the wooden table, and started talking.

"No time for that now, there they are," I nodded my head towards them, Shay looking around to see. He looked back at me and smiled.

"You stay here love, I'll do it," He pushed himself from the table and strolled over to them.  I could see everything now. How did I not notice before? I could tell it was Shay even by the way he walked over  there. He certainly looks like he's seen a lot of shit. What happened after he fell? How did he survive that fall, though? Why didn't he come back for me? There's  so many questions circling my brain, all could be answered. Does he still love me? Does he know it's me? He's alive; why am I not as excited as I should be?

"That cheeky bugger's been listenin' to us!" My head shot up, the guards were circling Shay. I shot up, readying my blades. I wasn't going to let him slip through my hands again. I crept up towards the two guards and plunged my blade into their necks, leaving them a gurgling mess on the floor. A tap on my shoulder made my body swing around, my face meeting a fist. I fell to the floor, clutching my face. Footsteps rushed past me, and stopped directly in front. A snick of a blade bought my attention, making my face slowly rise from my hands. Shay had him in a headlock with his blade to his neck. He slowly sliced the man's neck open, his screams of help echoing throughout the tavern. 

*10 minutes later*

We were both sat on the roof of the tavern with a rag in both of out hands and a bottle of alcohol between us. All that could be heard between us was the occasional sharp intake of breath when the damp cloth was pressed to our wounds. I peered down at the rag in my hands, wincing at the amount of blood on it. After Shay had killed the one that punched me, another ten guards burst into tavern. Fists were thrown full force at each other's faces, blood was everywhere within the first few minutes. After we took out the rest of them, we stole a couple rags and a bottle of drink from behind the counter to clean the wounds. We climbed the building to get so a safe place, and we've been here ever since. He was sat on one side of the roof, I was sat on the other. 

"You done?" Shay took the bottle and held it out to me, cocking his head in the direction of the bottle. I nodded, watching him bring it to his lips and drink the rest. I looked straight ahead, the moon now illuminating the sky. 

"Why're you so far away lass?" He laughed a little, edging closer. I leant my back onto the chimney, making myself more comfortable. I looked at him, the left side of his face lit up by the moon.

"We never finished our conversation earlier," I smiled a little, watching him look over in amusement.

"Well, what do you want to know?" He smirked, leaning in ever so slightly

"Why you never came back for me," I broke the moment saying this. Standing up, I turned around to face the other way and ran my hands through my hair, instantly regretting what I said. I looked at Shay again, who was sat with his head in his hands. He rubbed his face with his hands and looked up at me.

"Ida, I had no idea," He said, shaking his head, staring at me

"Why didn't you come back?" I looked bakc at him, not breaking eye contact.

"I didn't know you weren't an Assassin anymore, if I went back and you wern't there they would've killed me for sure," He stood up and walked towards me. He held his arms out, wanting a hug. I lept into his arms, his chin resting on my head.

"I've missed you," I sighed, bringing him in closer

"I'm here now," He smiled into my hair.

-

(A/N)

I AM ACTUALLY SO SORRY I HAVENT UPDATED IN LIKE 3 MONTHS KILL ME

SO THIS WAS PROBABLY THE LAST CHAPTER, BIT SHIT ENDING I KNOW BUT HEY HO WHO SAID I WAS GOOD AT WRITING

so I probably won't do a sequel if anyone asks, there's nothing else tbh. I'm really sorry I haven't updated in so long, I planned to stop for a tiny bit because I kept loosing concentration (this took me 3 hours to write mind), then my anxiety started acting up (feeling claustropobic oUTSIDE fuckin hell), then it was Easter, then it was my birthday (a few days ago actually), and now here we are. My concentration is still wavering between fucking dumb and bearable, so I might update every 2 or 3 weeks. I'd rather write not often and it's decent then update every day and it be shit, know what I mean?

Thanks for not loosing faith in me woO:)))