Chapter Two

I had been pondering their reasoning behind taking me with them as the three of us walked in silence, and though I knew they had most likely told the truth, there was always that small percentage that kept me weary. Not a word had been spoken between us since back at the shack, and though the silence was much to my liking, it was starting to drive me crazy; I wasn't their hostage, nor was I a threat to them. They don't know that... I shrugged off the thought, wanting to believe they could see I meant no harm. Taking in a deep breath, my lips parted to speak. "So, you said you have a farm?" I asked curiously, and Rick glanced at me over his shoulder before throwing back an answer. "It belongs to Hershel, but he's been kind enough to let us stay."

Nodding my head, I looked to a sign in the not-so-far distance that read 'Greene Farm', and I wondered if that was our destination. Both men stopped, and I furrowed my brow in confusion as Rick turned to face me, scratching his light stubble as Daryl pulled a handkerchief from his back pocket. "We're going to blindfold you, just until we get there," Rick explained, and when I frowned he decided to elaborate. "It's just a precaution. We don't know you yet." I finally understood, and quickly nodded my approval to Daryl who then moved forward, covering my eyes. "Don't worry...we aren't going to hurt you," Rick's calm voice filled my ears, and all I could do was nod and pray he was being truthful. A large hand wrapped around my upper arm, tugging me forward gently as a signal to start walking, and though my feet were hesitant I began to walk once more.

I could hear birds chirping above me, but couldn't place their exact locations. It was a calming sound, one that put my nerves at ease and kept my heart from beating out of my chest. I could hear heavy breathing from my right, and figured it to be none other than Daryl who was leading me. At least he was being gentle. I thought to myself.
Eventually Rick spoke up. "The farm is just up ahead. We're going to remove the blindfold, okay?" I took a deep breath a nodded, and hands soon fumbled with the knot on the back of my head. A few seconds later my eyes were free, and after blinking a couple times my vision refocused, and my heart skipped a beat at when I saw the large white farmhouse up the road. My eyes roamed over the beautiful landscape, finding there was a barn a good distance from the house, and a large field surrounded by woods on the opposite side of the road. I could see blurred figures as they moved around in the front yard, and as we moved closer they became clearer. A small boy stopped what he had been doing once we caught his attention, and started to run towards us. "Dad!" he cried out happily as his small body collided with Rick's, who wrapped his arms around the boy.

Rick turned his head to the side, meeting my wide eyed gaze. "This is my boy, Carl." he introduced, and Carl finally acknowledged my presence as he looked up at me, and I smiled down at him awkwardly. "This is Katrina." I held out my hand to the boy, "You can call me Kat." Carl smiled and took my hand in his, giving it a shake before dropping his hand back to his side. Rick cleared his throat, and my attention turned back to him as he ran a hand through his hair. "Daryl's already gone to inform everyone about you. Let's go see Hershel, get him to check you out; he has medical training." he suggested, and I gave him a small smile and nodded. Something about his demeanor had changed. He was calmer around me, less alert. "Yeah...that sounds good."