Chapter Three

Hershel was a kind enough man; he looked to be in his sixties, though I wasn't sure, and he had gentle eyes that looked at me without judgement, something I instantly admired in him. "Well, you're not bit or anything, and I see no wounds that need immediate attention." he stated in a soft tone, his southern accent reminding me of my grandfather's. I smiled and gave him a short nod, "So does that me I'm allowed to help out around here?" I asked thoughtfully, knowing very well that at some point Rick would ask me to, and Hershel nodded.

  Pushing myself up from the bed, I gave him a smile, "Thank you, Hershel." I said gratefully, and he returned my gesture. "You best go find Rick, and have him show you around." I nodded my head slowly before making my way out of the bedroom and out the front door. I looked out over the front lawn, searching for Rick. "He's out on a run. Told me t'show ye around." A voice interrupted my thoughts, and I turned my head to the right to find Daryl, who was leaning against one of the large posts.

  I smiled with a nod, and he stood up straight, mumbling 'let's go' before turning to walk off the porch. I followed behind quickly, not wanting to keep him waiting. He led me to a small campsite, silent as he walked. Not much of a talker, I see. I thought to myself as he came to a stop, causing me to accidentally bump into his back due to the fact I wasn't paying attention. He glanced at me with a weird expression, and I quickly looked anywhere but at him, blushing a soft shade of pink. "Hi, you must be Katrina?" A woman with short, greying hair asked, giving me a warm smile. I nodded, and she smiled even more. "I'm Carol, that's Andrea over there and Dale, over by the RV." I looked to both people as she pointed, neither of them seeming to notice. Because you aren't that important....

  Daryl looked at me, and I smiled at Carol. "It's really nice to meet you, but please, call me Kat." I stated with a soft, awkward laugh. She smiled with a nod, and Daryl grunted. "C'mon, let's go."