Chapter Five

I watched as Rick talked, explaining to a few in the group how they would go about finding Sophia, pointing to different places on the map as he assigned teams. "I'd like to help; I know the area pretty well, so." Jimmy, the boy dating Hershel's youngest daughter Beth stated, and Rick turned to face him. "Is Hershel alright with this?" The young boy nodded with a quick 'yes' as Daryl pointed at the map. "I'm gonna borrow a horse...." he started as I looked around at the camp, and it wasn't until T-Dog mentioned Daryl's obsession with the chupacabra that I started to pay attention.

Jimmy reached for a gun, only to be stopped by Rick. "You have any practice shooting?" he asked him, earning a sheepish 'no sir' from the boy, who then started to walk off. "I can teach him," Shane started, and Andrea pitched in by adding, "He can come with T-Dog and me." Rick nodded, handing Jimmy a smaller gun instead of the shotgun he'd first reached for. I looked to Daryl who glanced down at me. "Need any help?" I asked softly, hoping he'd say yes. I wanted to know more about him, possibly even become friends....if that was possible. No one wants to be friends with you. I sighed inwardly as I awaited his response. "Nah, I'm better at tracking when I'm alone. You could help by keepin' Carol distracted." he replied and, hiding my disappointment, I nodded with a small smile. "Okay."

Carol wasn't hard to find, as she was standing by the fire quietly as I approached her. "Hey Carol," I greeted softly, and she turned to smile, but it seemed as though her mind was somewhere else. "Don't worry...they'll find her." I reassured, and that caused her expression to change, and I knew I had her full attention now. "I'm sorry. I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard." she explained softly, and I nodded in understanding before giving her a warm smile. "Come on, let's keep busy. No use standing around is there?" She shook her head standing up straight. "I suppose you're right. I think there's laundry to do; I could use some help." she stated, and with a nod I followed her.