The Plot Thickens

I am the words you're reading---my name is Story and I'm in a bind...

It feels like I'm on an island with just enough space to walk in a small circle.

All directions seem the same...

In fact, there are too many directions I can take---one huge swarm of ways to proceed, each buzzing in my ear, each promising---something...

Then there are the things below the tiny hut I have---scritching around, gnawing at my nerves...

I think I'll take a swim.

But...

Those fish seem so big...

Can't just stand here---can't not move forward.........

Damn !

I'll die if I don't do something !!

O.K., o.k., calm down.

There's water, sand...

Wood ! The hut !

Tear it down with my bare hands !?

~~~

Hours later I lay on the sand, a heap of exhaustion with a pile of wood next to me.

Nails but no hammer...

No rope...

What's that?

Crawling up out of the sand where the hut was...

Like a rat---two now, three...

I grab the largest board in the stack and start whacking away, killing ten of whatever the hell they are.

Long with large, horny heads...

They seem to be stiffening up, losing their hair---look almost like a bunch of organic hammers...

Damn !

~~~

Didn't take that long to get the nails out of the boards with my horrific little hammers but each of the ten only lasted a short while---they're all smashed to pulp, stinking something awful...

Wait------what? More sand?

Looks like my little island has grown into a narrow peninsula.

But peninsulas connect to larger landmasses...

Don't see any such thing.

~~~

After a longer walk than I first thought it would take, I find the mainland... Need a nap...

~~~

I wake in the middle of the night.

No moon.

Plenty of weird sounds...

Is that a light over there?

Pulsing...

I head towards it and the frequency seems to begin matching the pace of my walking.

I walk faster.

The light pulses faster.

I reach the light and it engulfs me---my mind churns, my skin crawls...

I pass out.

~~~

Daylight.

I'm lying on the grass at the edge of a small village.

Someone's approaching...

Man in a business suit !?

I sit up as he reaches me.

He says, "What are you doing here?"

"I don't know..."

"What's your name?"

"Story..."

"You sure?"

"Yes---why?"

"That's my name, too..."

~~~

We talk for hours and finally come to a decision----find our greatly confused author...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you liked this story, please consider giving it a vote...

If you can't wait for me to put all 31 stories here (one per week), head over to nfaa.wordpress.com and look in the left side-bar to find all the stories---that side-bar also has a free book of poetry, a free novel, and a free fable :-) {NOTE: if you're on your phone, you'll have to use your general "Menu" button and find something like "Request Desktop Site" to see the left side-bar :-)

Next story on Tuesday (USA-time), April 12th :-)