White Wizard - Black Wizard

As he traced the last line of the sigil on the cave wall, it began to glow...

He meant no harm---had never meant harm---was only taking these actions to protect the people.

They called him the white wizard and his forced retirement was about to end...

~~

At the edge of the forest, another wizard invoked the spirits and cast his enchantment, feeling a thrill of triumph.

The elephant would fly to the forest kingdom and destroy the log-palace---the people would be groveling in their subduction and clamoring for his help.

He stroked the trunk of the beast and thought of the weak-willed white wizard---off in his cave, still licking his wounds...

He made a shrill whistle, calling his beloved bat.

~~

He knew a direct assault on the black wizard would fail---had failed him those nineteen moons ago...

He knew his nemesis would strike in darkness---knew the animal the evil one would enslave with enchantment.

He'd chosen his defending animal with care---smeared the poison on its teeth, assured it would find its mark...

~~

As darkness approached and the elephant's airborne and appalling sounds reached the people's ears, the King was cowering in his inner chambers.

All bemoaned their fate---all had lost faith in the white wizard...

~~

The moon rose with a strange haste...

No sounds in the forest, not even the frogs...

~~

A chambermaid of the Queen, on her terrified way to find an herb---forced to leave the palace because the plant must be plucked in moonlight---was frozen by an apparition---a tortured trumpeting coming from an impossible elephant, soaring above the trees...

~~

The white wizard held his defending animal before the glowing sigil---informing it of its mission---then, released it to its task...

~~

The elephant hovered over the palace, terrified in its ensorcelled plight, terrifying the people with its otherworldly screams---the black wizard drooling in his mad control of the people's fate...

~~

In the cave, prayers were ascending---supplications of intense longing---pleas for otherworldly Aid...

~~

A small animal flew through the chilled night air...

~~

The elephant was straining against its imposed suspension---legs thrashing, ears flapping wildly, trunk whipping the air...

~~

The black wizard didn't noticed the bat alighting on his shoulder, didn't feel the bite---his body slumping from the poison...

~~

The elephant was freed from its spell---its frenzied motions imparting a momentum, carrying it just beyond the palace to crash into the lake.

~~

No one believed what had happened...

Still, as is natural, they repeated the story down through the ages...

And, as is natural, they appended a moral:

"The struggle of good against evil is only won when evil defeats itself..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you liked this story, please consider giving it a vote...