[2] Rick Grimes and Pony-Boy

"Pony-boy, huh? What kinda shit name is that?" The man growled, his gun wavering in his hand. It was pointed directly at Tarzan- and at that very minute I was sure he'd pull the trigger.
"Listen buddy. You kill me and it's all merry for two seconds. I've got men who'll track you down to your very last breath if they see even as much as a scratch on me. Do as you please, but I assure you these'll be your last breaths." The way Tarzan spoke now was different to the way he spoke to me. He was different when we were in danger. He was different when he was in charge.
"Oh yeah?" The man taunted, loading a bullet and getting ready to pull the trigger.
Tarzan lifted his hand in the air, signalling.
Suddenly, out of the forests, on both sides- behind trees and trenches, came dozens and dozens of men. All pointing their guns at the man who pointed his gun at Tarzan.
I counted to three before bullets tore through him.
There was our obstacle, taken care of in the most simple way. The man was now dead.
My eyes enlarged in fear as Tarzan reached for my knife, tossing it to me. He then reached for his baseball bat.
"Well..." I stuttered, glazing my fingers along the blade. "That's one way to get our weapons back..."
"Heh." Tarzan breathed out. Signalling the men to withdraw their guns.
"Thanks boys. Take his body and burn it. See what he has. Next step, finding his camp and takin' his shit from there too."

I don't think I actually slept. I was still for a while and I think I passed out for a few seconds... but could you really call that sleeping?

My plan was to reach Terminus by nightfall, but somehow I'd let Rick talk me into resting for the night. I didn't trust these people. Not yet- but I had a feeling I could.
They'd told me little about their past and asked a lot of questions about mine. To which all I had told them, was that I had been on my own.
That was a lie- but it was a lie even I believed.

Carl sleeps in a car not far from the group. Rick and Michonne aren't sleeping. Instead, they're sitting wide awake just a few metres from where I lie, which is over by the front of the car. They sit by a small fire, talking about a rabbit that they had just eaten.

With displeasure from not being able to sleep, I get up.
As soon as I make any sudden movements, Rick and Michonne spin my way.
"Going somewhere?" Michonne calls. I can tell she's not comfortable with me. Rick is the only one who doesn't look threatened by my company.
I shrug, kicking the dirt at my feet.
"To pee?"
Rick's eyes avert to my bag, which is on the ground where I was lying.
"Come on. My bag is here. It's got all my stuff in it, so if it's here, I'm coming back for it."
Rick nods, then goes back to talking to Michonne, like its no big deal. It's not, I just thought he'd be more cautious. Not as trustworthy.

I forge through the bush and shrubbery. Feeling comforted by the twigs that crack under my weight and the smell of pure oxygen. It's dark, so I can't see much, only the outline of the trees. I'd survived in forest and bush like this for almost all of my time alone. Here, suffocated by darkness and the smell of pine, this was home.

But I am not alone.

That much I know. I stand still but something in this bush does not. Every step it takes towards me, sticks and leaves crunch under its weight. I step back, reaching for my knife. Before I can grab it, thick hands wrap around my mouth, taking the breath out of me.
I scream- or at least try to. All that comes out is a muffled sound.
Who is there to save me from it, anyway?

The thing isn't a walker. I mean, I'd be dinner by now if it was. Instead, I'm shoved to the ground.
"Hey!" I squeal, clawing at my holster for my knife. I look up at the tall man. He's dirty and nasty looking. I breath out, scrambling back.
"What the hell man! I don't have anything!"
He kneels, pinning me down. I try to scream but get a mouthful of leaves and dirt instead.
"Oh- but you do." He replies, yanking me up again. As he does so, he grabs me by my hair, smashing my head against a nearby tree.