Sweet Sixteen: Part. 14

Jumping from the kitchen table I rushed to the door. Only when I heard the sound of the bath running did I return to the table and ask in a low voice, "Why did you say you were Dylan?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "I didn't. I was looking for you, couldn't locate you at school. So GG told me where you lived. I knock, she answer, I say 'is Benita home?' She grab, pull me in and say, 'you must be Dylan.' Then she: chat, chat, chat none stop. Your mum is top gear."

He slid his phone in front of me and tapped it, "Input sister. Madness that we didn't have each others numerals," he said.

Tapping in my number, I told him, "Dylan's gone missing."

He sat bolt upright, "Missing – as in cat and dog missing?" The terrifying reality of his question hit me hard and I raised my voice, "WE'VE GOT TO FIND HIM!"

Joshua winced and put his finger to his mouth as we waited for the inevitable from mum. It wasn't long in coming, "Are you ok down there, what you shouting for, who've you got to find?" She asked, concern in her voice.

I shot back, "I said 'we've not to mind him' we're talking about a boy at school, mum."

"OK, got ya." I heard her footfall go back to the bathroom.

The visible shock and concern on Joshua's face did nothing to ally my fears, in fact it compounded them. I expected him to have answers, or ideas, suggestions and clues that would lead us to Dylan. But instead I saw his usual confidence diminish and his lack of words frustrated me.

"Say something, Joshua, anything."

His response was thoughtful and measured, "I've seen no suspicious activity at number 13, which makes me suspicious."

Possible scenarios spilled from me, "Do you think he's been revenge killed, for Granny Grace killing the drug dealer?" I asked.

"No."

"But the blood on the door said 'Vengeance has visited.'

Joshua raised his eye, "Blood on door, what door? You need to furnish me with your facts; you know more than me," he said.

Taking a deep breath I told Joshua of what I'd discovered at Petal Road and my experience with the man I assumed was the pastor at the party shop.

Afterwards I was pleased to see the return of his streetwise confidence, "I need to see Petal Road myself, I'll go there now," he said, standing up.

"I'm coming with you."

Joshua pointed upwards, "Is that wise? Mum's eye is on you," he said.

At the kitchen door I shouted up the stairs, "Mum, Dylan and I are going for a walk round the block."

Her response was relaxed, "Don't be long, it's a school night."

###

I repeated my hair and skull cap routine as we walked to Petal Road. Joshua looked at the finished result and smiled, "You look fierce, like a Warrior Woman," he said, nodding approvingly.

###

Once inside Petal Road, Joshua was quietly contemplative.

In this short time with him, I'd learned that he processed things very differently than me. Where I react and jump to conclusions, Joshua reflects, considers and comes to reasoned assumptions. So, I respected his silence and waited for his words, rather than impatiently asking for them.