chapter 2

Adrian Hunter^^

~~~~~~~~\~~~~~~~~~~\~~~~~~~~\~~

My commute was another headache in my life. One bus drive from Manhattan to the train station then I take the subway to The Bronx followed by walking a couple blocks to my apartment. Jess lives with her older sister Maria, she's a photographer for some big time magazine, they rent a 2 bedroom apartment uptown, a luxury that I can't afford.

When the bus stops I hug Jess getting off near the subway station pulling out my metro card, walking a little faster than normal. I need to be home before 7:30 pm or I going to have to deal with Julius which is never a good encounter.

When I'm seated in the train, I open my phone checking my bank account trying to add up my expenses for this month to see if I can afford to pay for a studio session next week. I have a few new songs that I want to record and studio time isn't cheap.

I save and take on extra shifts at work sometimes so I can get a few hours in the studio at least once a month, with the help of Skipper . He produces my music and teaches me a few tips and tricks without me having to pay him which I'm forever grateful for cause he gets hired regularly by huge record labels for 3 to 4 years worth of my salary combined.
He's an old friend of my aunt, so when she told him about my passion for music he took me under his wing and taught me everything I know now.

When I'm almost at my stop I put my phone in my bag, getting up when the train stops. The walk to my apartment is always the same, people outside playing dice on the corner, smoking weed and an echo of music bouncing off the walls from Julius's house .

We all knew it was a
Trap house ( a place where illegal activities take place like prostitution or drug dealing)
but we pretended otherwise for our own safety.

When I get to my block I see Julius and his friends leaning against Mr. Wilson's old Cadillac across from my building, I inhale deeply preparing myself, this is what I was trying to avoid.

He closes the distance between us as soon as he see's me.

"What's up J, I was wondering where you were. How's work? still cleaning up for those entitled fuckers?!"