Chapter 3

The doors close and I start hyperventilating leaning against the elevator walls to keep myself from fainting.

" Oh my God!"

My eyes widen as I catch my reflection in the elevator panels, dammit... my uniform blouse is covered in blood, I can't walk through the lobby like this.

I take my top off quickly bundling it up in my hands to hide the blood, checking my under shirt for stains. When the elevator gets to the lobby, I run to the nearest bathroom throwing my top in the garbage, washing any visible splashes of blood off my hands and face, then I grab my stuff from my locker not bothering to change.

I need to get out of here before he finds me,  I walk out the back doors to the bus stop with my anxiety eating me alive, I keep looking over my shoulder checking if I'm being followed. The bus finally arrives and I quickly pay the driver and sit at the back. Couple minutes later I exit the bus and walk to the subway getting on a train, zoning out the whole way home. I walk to my apartment thanking the Gods that Julius wasn't outside .

When I get inside I drop my bag to the floor as I sit on the couch with my head in my hands wondering what my next move should be. I know I can't just show up for work tomorrow like nothing happened. I'm sure he's going to be expecting that, maybe I can go stay with Jessica..... no that's too close, I need to get out of town or maybe the country.

First things first I need a bath, my mind is everywhere but here and despite trying to clean myself up in the bathroom at the hotel, I can still see little droplets of blood here and there which is not helping the situation .

I strip, taking everything off for a hot bath scrubbing my body from inch to inch making sure all traces of blood are gone then I put on sweat pants and a t-shirt .

I start watching tv , hoping to calm myself down but after 5 minutes my mind starts drifting, replaying the incident in my head over and over. After rewinding the same scene 3 times, I finally give up on trying to watch tv deciding to go to bed.

I need to lay low for a few weeks, so I type up some bullshit excuse as to why I need time off in an email sending it to the hotel , applying all the sick and pto days I have left . That should buy me sometime until I come up with a proper plan.

I won't waste my time even talking to the police. I know Julius had dirty cops in his back pocket to help him stay out of prison, and he's a neighborhood delinquent. Can't imagine how many officers Mr. Hunter has on his payroll with all his resources and funds. I need to leave first thing tomorrow morning, auntie May lives 2 hours away, I can catch a bus and have her pick me up , I know she'll be happy to see me regardless of how last-minute the visit is.

I check all news outlets not one report of a murder by a business tycoon, so there has to be some sort of cover up . I never went to college but I'm not stupid, I've watched too many murder documentaries, criminal minds, csi and law and order episodes, to ignore these things. I keep replaying my plan for tomorrow in my head, overthinking and analyzing until my eyes close involuntarily drifting into a slumber.

I wake up in the middle of the night half asleep to use the bathroom. while washing my hands a shock runs through me as I hear voices coming from the living room. I put on my bunny slippers then I grab the baseball bat Matt gave me for my birthday last year from my closet.

I open my bathroom door slowly looking around the living room letting out a breath of relief when I realize it's just the TV, I throw the bat on the couch and grab the remote switching it off.
A gust of cold wind rushes past me, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I turn to face the source , noticing that the balcony door is wide open.