Chapter 5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I rub my head as the pain starts to vanish from the last speed bump we drove over, this is the 4th time my head has slammed against the trunk floor and I'm starting to think that he's doing this intentionally.

We drive for another gruesome couple of minutes before the car stops. After a few minutes the trunk door is pulled open by a man with brown hair and caramel eyes. He reaches his hand out for me to take but I ignore his gesture completely, taking my time to get out of the trunk myself.

I tumble at bit, feeling the full affects of everything I went through today, my back being slammed to the kitchen floor , my head against the hotel tile and a 20 minute drive in the trunk. I stretch my limbs feeling my joints crack releasing some tension. After a few seconds my mind finally starts focusing on my surroundings.

He makes a hand gesture which I assume means to follow him. Part of me wants to make a run for it, But from my small observations I notice a gun hooked to his waist which means he can shoot me dead in the back if I run. Plus there's a grand gate at the entrance that I can't possibly climb so.... I guess I'm following.

He leads me into the extravagant mansion, my eyes grazing over paintings, furniture and high tech appliances. We go pass what I think is the living room, filled with a group of men having a rowdy discussion with laughter erupting. As soon as they notice me standing in the passage way, the room falls silent.

"lets go he's waiting for you"

I look at the man ahead of me, reaching his hand out once again for me to take , with my headache resurfacing I grab hold of his forearm instead to keep my balance, walking reluctantly as he directs me upstairs to a room at the end of the hall.

I step into the room, closing the door behind myself. My eyes skimming through the books on his shelf, he had a lot of first editions.

"Sit"

There he was behind his huge mahogany desk highly focused on whatever he was clicking through on his computer desk.

I  slowly sit in a soft robust chair facing his desk  not bothering to object. knowing when to pick my battles with this man is a skill I'm slowly developing. He's the only person I fear at the moment especially after everything he's done.

"All obtainable jobs are filled, you'll be staying here temporarily until a spot is available. Dominic will be showing you to your room. You'll stay there for-"

"Dominic?"

He looks up obviously irritated, our eyes meeting for first time since he forced me in to the trunk.

"Don't interrupt me again" he says clenching his jaws looking back at the computer screen.

"Can you cook?"

"That's a subjective question... but I think so, yes"

Its the only talent I have that my mom actually supports. She taught me from an early age how to take care of myself and for that I'm forever grateful.

"You will be expected to cook and clean lightly since we already have a maid that comes in 2 times a week. You will be compensated for your work, I'll sort that out later. You're allowed in the kitchen, living room, gym, library, art room, entertainment room, and your room, you're not permitted in any other room without an escort or permission "

"What happens with my family, my friends and my job, they'll look for me if I go missing?"

"A resignation has been sent in on your behalf to the De'locore hotel. In regards to your family and friends communication is permitted as long as you keep my business out of your mouth. If you say anything you shouldn't I'll know and their deaths will be on your hands, is that understood?"

"Yes, it is" I've never lied to my aunt before she knows everything about me, but to keep everyone safe I'll have to start.

" I'm warning you once about the dangers of disobeying me, trying to escape and telling anyone about what you saw. I've over stretched my hand in keeping you alive after everything you've done. Piss me off again and I'll put you in the ground."

Working at the De'locore was bad but at least I was safe, free and didn't have threats hanging over me like clouds of darkness. What life can I possibly have under constant supervision.

"Leave" He says going through papers on his desk like he didn't just threaten my life and everyone I care about.

I get up, walking out of what I assume to be his office. I step into the hallway, the escort  from earlier or should I say Dominic is standing there waiting for me on his phone. When he sees me he shoves it into his back pocket.

"Come on, I'll show you to your room" he says turning around leading me up another flight of stairs, how many levels does this house have.

"la 'astatie 'an 'usadiq 'ana sakhif ealiq huna , wahadha hu 'aemaq alqarf laqad hasalt ealaa nafsi fi 'ayi waqt madaa"
(I can't believe I'm stuck here, this is the deepest shit I've ever gotten myself into)

"Did you say something?" He turns around staring at me.

"Oh, I'm just talking to myself...sorry " His brows crease together confusingly before continuing the journey down another hallway halting mid way in front of a door.

"Okay this is it, I'm sorry you have to go through this but as long he knows you can be trusted you'll be back to your old life in no time"

I nod my head not believing a word as he walks away leaving me standing in the hallway. I open the door to my bedroom pleasantly surprised, this room is bigger than my apartment, I even have my own bathroom. I don't know why I was expecting something similar to an old rickety motel room but this is exquisite.

I grab my duffle bag off the floor unpacking my things. I don't have a lot but it should be enough until I can buy some clothes with whatever salary I'll be getting. I have one pay cheque left to receive from the De'locore and I no longer have to worry about paying rent or utilities. So I can send half to mom for that air conditioner shes been talking about for months and buy a few things for myself with the other half . A lack of bills stressing me out every month is the only benefit I can find about being here.

I change into a big t-shirt removing my blood stained clothes from earlier. Getting some alcohol and cream from the bathroom applying it to the cut above my eyebrow, hoping it won't leave a scar.

I lie down on the soft fluffy sheets staring up at the ceiling , I really wish I had turned around and minded my own business or something. Now here I am working for what I assume to be a group of professional  criminals. I know he didn't dispose of the bodies himself, he had to have had help with covering everything up, I imagine that's what the people around him do, cover up the discretions and actions he wants to keep private.

I'll have to call my family and Jess eventually and come up with a really good lie that they'll believe. I just don't want them worrying about me anymore than they already do and telling them the truth is out of the question if I want to keep them safe.

I'm only grateful that I got to grab my most important things. Against my mother's wishes I still have my father's guitar pic, she always hated that thing. She'd kill me if she found out I make music, we disagree on most things so to avoid drama I pretend to be the perfect daughter she wants. Making up a life and job that I know she'll be proud of.

So once every 2 weeks I tell her about my fake made up life, listening to gossip about the rest of my family in Syria just to make her happy. Then like clock work she bothers me about coming home to visit and questions why I'm unmarried especially after I turned 24, apparently in her head I'm almost 40.

She doesn't understand that I'm not really a citizen, I'm here on asylum  I can't risk leaving America with the chance that I might not be able to come back. I can't imagine being stuck in Syria, its my birthplace but still not ideal for women like myself. I'm suppose to start the process of application for my green card in a couple weeks but that's delayed until I can get out of here.

I just have to accept the situation I'm in right now. So if I'm going to be here I'll have to figure out how to be helpful and maybe he'll trust me enough to let me go, I know it's a bit naïve but I can only be hopeful.