Chapter 6

Chapter six

[Val’s POV]

Malum’s cackle echoed around the room and soon mixed with my own screams of anger and Cara’s helpless sobs while Medusa simply stood rooted to her spot. Her cold, metal hair barely stopped cutting into my skin and yet small drops of blood continued to drip from my fingertips. I felt useless, helpless and I hated that once again Malum was the one to make me feel this way.

“Let her go!” I shouted angrily, kicking at the air. “Keep me, but just let her go! Please!”

Malum smirked and shook his head. “Why Valerie, why would I want to do that? As it is, I already have the two of you and... if you both survive, I plan on keeping it that way-”

“But you tried to kill her before! You left her down in the caves with the others to die! You didn’t want to keep her then, why would you want to keep now?” It didn’t make sense that he would try to kill her before and now wanted to keep her.

“Ah yes...” He paused. “One of the few things I regret. Unfortunately young Chaos here showed too much humanity – she cared too much and didn’t follow commands properly, much like the others. However, she had potential, oh yes. Her abilities were none that I had imagined from my experimenting and it was such a shame that she had that weakness

“So why come back for her now?” I asked through my tears.

“Let’s just say that making sure my Elementals follow commands has been perfected... it takes much longer, yes... but in the end they will always give in. In the end, I own their soul”

I sucked in my breath and my eyes darted to Cara. She looked absolutely petrified! “Don’t give in Cara” I whispered frantically. Malum’s success in ensuring his experiments are completely under his control must have to do with freely giving in to him somehow. Why else would he have spent this long trying to torture me into giving in to him? “Hold on... I don’t know how but we’ll get out of here Cara, okay? I promise-!”

“That’ll be enough” Malum’s voice cut mine off sternly. “Take her back Medusa. I have much more work to do to Chaos here”

Once again I was lifted into the air by the metal strands of Medusa’s hair while I screamed profanities at Malum and half hearted words of encouragement to Cara as I was carried out of the room. Hate bubbled within me and I tried to feel for any little bit of moisture in the air, tried to collect it and assemble the molecules tight enough to form something... anything! My mind was still weak and I had a feeling it had to do with Malum reaching into my head every time I’d had a dose of persuasion but I focused hard enough that the best I could do was form an ice dart.

I was nearly out of the room when I sent it hurtling towards Malum but he’d seen it coming a mile away and simply whipped his head to the side to avoid it. The dart flew past and splintered against the stone wall behind him and just as Medusa turned the corner my heart broke when Cara gave another muffled scream into her gag.

[Derrek’s POV]

I squeezed my eyes tightly again as the dry pain shot through my tired eyes. I’d been driving for hours straight. I wasn’t even sure how long I’d managed to keep driving this time. After escaping the grasp of The Control I’d driven for almost ten hours, stopping once only to let everyone have a bathroom break, before Helena took over. She’d driven for another five before I decided to take over again and I’d lost count of how many hours it was now.

Everyone in the car was asleep and the sun was already starting to set. I’d suggested that everyone try to get as much rest as possible during the drive because we had no idea what was waiting for us when we reached the first Stinger hideout. The road we’d turned off on to was filled with pot holes and tall grass swayed on either side of the road. The grass swayed back and forth and soon I began to focus more on it than the road. I was so exhausted...