Chapter 14

Chapter fourteen

[Derrek’s POV]

The final decision lingered in the air. It felt as though The Control had just declared war and I knew that in the years to come there would students who would walk into class one day, open their text books and read all about what we were going to go through. ‘They must be destroyed’. I always knew that was what was going to happen, but to have it solidified in stone was life changing.

Were we even going to survive through this?

My thoughts wondered to Val and everything we went through to make sure she was safe. Well, I know I’d do anything to keep her safe, and despite what I may act out to everyone else, I’d do my best to keep them safe too. Maybe even Blake, if I was in a good mood. I felt Mr Obsidian’s eyes on me and I turned to see him scrutinizing me.

“I think this conversation is over, for tonight at least” He said, more to The Control, before turning to us. “The rest of you need to be seen by a Healer and I will talk to you all tomorrow morning in my office, understand?”

We all nodded. Mr Obsidian gestured for the leaders to walk out first and I had a suspicion it was so that no one could question us further without him realising. As they left the infirmary Nurse Oakley returned. “I don’t know what is going on, but it’s always the Healers who have to deal with the results” She huffed. “Who’s first?”

“Tadpole... you go first” I jumped in straight away. “She’s been through the most out of all of us”

“But-“

“No, you need to be healed first. We’ll talk after” I nodded supportively to her and she stared at me before nodding and sitting on the bed Nurse Oakley was sitting in front of.

“I guess we’re safe for now” Blake murmured as he watched Helena sleeping.

I shrugged. “I suppose to... but I have no idea where they’re keeping-“

Squeals filled the quiet infirmary and we all turned to see Bree and Sophia running into the room and hug Blake and Cameron. I stood up and looked outside the door, but there was no one else there. “Quiet down, please! This is a place for resting and healing, not squealing and reunions!”

“Sorry!”

“I’m so sorry!”

“Where were they keeping you?” Cameron asked straight away. He held Sophia in a one armed hug while Blake did the same with Bree. I hadn’t realised they were still tense, but once they were reunited with their missing two friends I could see them relax a little more. “Are you two okay?”

“It was a bunch of bull-“

“They only kept us detained in a room. Once you all left to search for Val and Cara they concentrated on you all before realising they couldn’t do much else besides wait” Bree interrupted Sophia. “They didn’t hurt us or anything-“

“Wait...” Sophia’s sharp eyes were suddenly scanning the room. “ I see Val, but... where’s Cara?”

Sophia winced when Cameron unknowingly squeezed her shoulder too tightly. It was clear to see the pain etched into his face. “He got to her” He whispered gruffly. “Malum got her...”

“She’s a Deviant-“ Blake whispered. Suddenly Sophia fell to the ground and Blake was sent flying into the wall behind him. The wall cracked from the force and he slid down with a winded cough causing everyone to gasp, and Nurse Oakley to shout.

“She is not a Deviant! She’s an Elemental and good! Cara is good! She is not one of Malum’s puppets and you’d be smart to remember that!”