Chapter 18

Chapter eighteen

All eyes moved to the group of Elementals standing behind Coach Shulk and Mr Obsidian. I could just hear the thoughts running through everyone’s mind.

I wonder what’s so great about them?

I wonder what they can do?

How can we fight against abilities so different than ours?

How do their abilities differ to the Deviants?

How can we be sure we can trust them?

I knew there were some Abled that would still have some trouble trusting the Elementals. Even after learning beside them, living in the same campus and even hearing from the dean and The Control that they weren’t a threat there will be people who will second guess the loyalty of the Elementals. But they would understand the hatred the Elementals hold against Malum – never. They don’t understand that while the Abled are afraid of what Malum can do, the Elementals aren’t; they’re ready and waiting until they can defeat the man who experimented on them and still has one of their dearest friends captured with him.

As I looked over the faces of the Elementals I realised that they no longer looked nervous or anxious about being stared and gawked at by hundreds of Abled students. They looked determined. I could almost see the click in their heads where they realised that they were the key to teaching everyone how to defeat the Deviants and, ultimately, Malum.

“I’ll go first” Cameron spoke up when no one else did. “My name is Cameron and I have two distinct abilities”

Without saying anything further Cameron smirked and vanished into thin air. Since I was already used to seeing Cameron disappear I found it extremely amusing when the majority of the Abled students gasped unanimously.

Where did he go!

Ho-ly crap!

Those gasps were cut off and new ones started, however, when an entire set of metal bleachers were lifted into the air. All the students on the rows of bleachers that were hovering in the air were panicking, yet trying not to move, and I bit my lip as I tried not to laugh. Derrek, on the other hand, chuckled darkly next to me as we watched the students slowly calm down. Cameron suddenly appeared underneath the floating bleachers and had a crooked smile on his lips. Very slowly and carefully he leaned down and dropped the set of metal benches down back in its spot.

He nodded and walked back to the group with loud applause in his wake. One by one, Blake, Bree and Sophia demonstrated their abilities, some of them (like Bree) used their abilities on students to show how strong their ability can be. When it came to Evanesce and Chimera I was curious to see everyone’s reaction considering no one else besides our group and Mr Obsidian knew their abilities.

“My name is Chimera”

“And my name is Evanesce” They introduced themselves as they stepped forward. “We were experimented on together by Malum. We’re not sure if our abilities are an outcome because of how close we are as best friends, and we’re not sure if Malum has experimented on other people to have the same or similar abilities-“

“... but what we can do is a little different to the others. Together our abilities are strong and unique, but only together can we use them. We cannot use our abilities as two separate Elementals, it’s as though we both have our own... yet they only work when mixed together”

Having vaguely explained themselves, the shadow girls swirled around and darkened to turn into the shadow. The shadow cried out a hollow roar and swiftly flew across the gym under the shadows of the bleachers, only to resurface on the other side of the gymnasium. They demonstrated their teleporting skills before quickly cloning themselves over and over and over until shadows were flying around everywhere. There were dozens of them, maybe even close to a hundred, but just as quick as they appeared, all the shadows suddenly disappeared. With one last hollow, airy roar the shadow swirled around like a fog and split down the middle to reveal Chimera and Evanesce once more.