Chapter 17

Chapter seventeen

“Do you think the guys did something similar to what we did?” Helena asked me as we all walked down the corridor to Cameron’s apartment.

I grimaced and shrugged slightly. I highly doubted that the guys were collaborating to strengthen their abilities and learn from each other’s mistakes. Our group lessened as we passed each of the Elemental’s apartments until there was only me and Helena. We stood outside Cameron’s apartment when I stopped and cocked my head slightly. What was that sound? Helena and I shared a look and pressed our ears to the door. Through the wooden door I could hear the muffled sounds of shouting and whooshing, like something flying through the air. Finally, the scent of smoke caught my nose and I knew something was happening on the other side.

“You don’t think...?” Helena wondered out loud.

“That a certain two boys are trying to kill each other? Yes... yes I do think that” I sighed and turned the doorknob, flinging the door wide open. A ball of ice the size of a soccer ball came hurtling straight towards us, but I easily waved my hand in front of me and the ball of water dropped down to the ground as snow. I looked back up and sighed heavily – what the hell were these guys doing?

Cameron was sitting on the kitchen bench, sipping at a bottle of soda as he watched Derrek and Blake aiming their contrasting flames of fire and ice at each other as though it was nothing new. Which, I had to admit, wasn’t new at all – in fact this was practically a daily routine. Blake had his back to us as he sent fiery blue flames at Derrek. Derrek crossed his forearms in an ‘X’ across his body and as the crystal blue flames hit him his own red flames erupted from his skin, causing steam to fill the air around him.

“What the hell are you two doing?” Helena and I call out at the same time.

Derrek looked up to meet my eyes and I could see the anger filter away from his face. Only after seeing Derrek look away did Blake turn around to face us. My eyes widened and I pursed my lips together to stop the snort of laughter from bubbling its way up my throat. Blake’s shirt was burned, yet again, but this time it looked as though someone had burned a bikini outline through the front, as though they’d used a giant cookie cutter on his shirt. There were other burned edges and holes but the bikini holes in his shirt were impossible to miss.

“Don’t you dare laugh, Val!” Blake grumbled as soon as he saw my face.

“I wasn’t going to...” I lied. I was so close to... it was like trying to hold in a big cough. My eye even twitched.

“It’s all you boyfriend’s fault!” Blake shouted pointing a finger at Derrek, who was lounging against the wall with a proud smirk playing on his lips.

I slid my eyes over to him and he shrugged. “Frosty here should know not to scuff my shoes”

I threw him a deadpanned look. “Really Sparky? Scuffed shoes? Have you seen the state of Cameron’s apartment now because of you two?”

“It was already like this!” Derrek scoffed.

I was about to retort back when Cameron cleared his throat. “Actually Val, he’s not lying. I just... you know, haven’t found it in me to clean up”

I blinked, looked around the apartment then blinked again. Wow.

“Uh... maybe we should concentrate on this a little later” Helena piped in, automatically steering the conversation away. “In case you wanted to know, we had a good and successful time with the rest of the girls. We were able to mix and verse each other’s abilities and even learned from one another”