Chapter 16 - Saying Goodbye

It had been a few months since we got to the prison, and today we were going to eventually clear the rest of the building. We have been living in the yard for 4 months, and we had to get into the rest of the prison, as Lori was 9 months pregnant and could have her baby any day now.

Lori apologized to me a few weeks after our incident, I accepted her apology and we haven't been best of friends since then, but we were civil.

Rick and I had become very close over the last few months, but I had been distancing myself a bit recently because the feeling I get was just getting stronger. I still couldn't work out what it was.

We couldn't pick the lock to get into the inner part of the fence, so someone was going to have to climb over the fence and find the keys to unlock it. They would have to take out a lot of the walkers on their own, so would have to be quick on their feet.

"So, who is quick on their feet and able to take out a lot of walkers?" Rick asked.

Everyone looked at either Glenn, or me.

"Well, it's between Glenn and Kara, and considering Kara is more agile I think you would be good for the job, Glenn, Lori's baby is going to be born soon, can you and Maggie go out on a run to get some formula." Rick said to us both.

"No. No. She ain't goin' in there alone" Daryl said.

"Daryl you know I can do it" I said.

He sighed. "I know, but I just can't risk losin' ya" He said.

"I'll be fine, I promise" I said.

He reluctantly agreed. I walked up to the fence and started to climb, and Daryl started trying to attract the walkers to him by banging on the fence a few meters away from me so that it was easier for me to get over.

As soon as I got onto the other side of the fence I started stabbing the walkers, and fired my bow at the ones that were further away. I didn't want to try and take all of them on by myself, because it was basically an impossibility, so I let the others shout and bang at the fence to attract the walkers to them. I ran past the ones that I could and stabbed the ones getting too close, until I found the door.

"KARA!" I heard Rick shout my name.

"WHAT?" I shouted back.

"THERE SHOULD BE A GUARDS ROOM IN THERE, THE KEYS SHOULD BE IN THERE, IF NOT THEY'LL BE ON ONE OF THE GUARDS" He told me, well at least I knew roughly where to go now. 

"OKAY" I shouted back before opening the door in front of me.

When I got into the building, there was rows and rows of cells, with walkers banging and growling at the bars.

There wasn't any walking around here, so I walked through until I got to the next door. When I opened it, there was about 40 walkers in the room, and I could see the guard tower but the walkers saw me first and instantly started to walk towards me.

I turned around to try and get to the other door to open it, but twisted my ankle and fell onto the floor, and I screamed for the first time in a long time.

I pulled the gun from my back pocket that Rick had insisted I take with me and now I was glad he did. I started to shoot at the walkers, but it wasn't long until I had run out of ammo and there was nothing I could do. One walker kept getting closer and I kept crawling backwards but it was no good, it just kept getting closer and closer and that is when I accepted that I was going to die.

I didn't stop moving as the quickly approaching walker got closer and closer to me, and just as it grabbed my leg ready to take a bite out of it, I heard the door behind me open and a bolt went straight through the walkers skull. I grabbed my bow from my back and started to shoot them at the walkers, until they had all fallen to the ground.