Chapter 8 - Another One Lost

I jumped out of Daryl's truck as soon as we reached the highway, I went over to where Rick, Glenn and Shane were leaning over a car looking at a map.

"I say we try our chances with Fort Mason, its the only other place we know that could be safe" Shane said.

"Its over 100 miles in the other direction, what if we get there and there's nothing? It's a waste of gas" Glenn argued.

"I agree with Glenn, I think we should stay here, camp in the cars, until we figure something out" Rick said.

"Guys!," Dale called from the top of the RV "there's a group of them heading this way"

Rick, Shane and Daryl got their weapons while I got onto the RV to have a look, I looked out and saw hundreds, maybe thousands of rotting corpses heading towards us.

"Fuck your weapons! There's thousands of them things!" I shouted.

"Everyone, hide under the cars and do not make a sound!" Dale shouted, and we both lay down on top of the RV so we couldn't be seen.

The walkers started to pass, and all I could think about was my brother, Atlanta is just up the road, did he see this horde? He only has one hand now, he wouldn't have stood a chance if he ran into them.

As the last couple of walkers at the very back passed by I started to get up and climb down, two walkers wouldn't do anything. I suddenly saw Sophia running into the woods with the two walkers hot on her heels.

"SOPHIA! SOPHIA MY BABY!" Carol was screaming, I started to run into the woods after her and Daryl and Rick soon joined me.

"Sophia!" We were shouting quietly. "Look, no offense, but if she sees to big men like you, she's gonna run screaming for the hills, let me go alone and I'll meet you back at the highway" I said.

"Your not stayin' out here alone" Daryl said.

"Daryl I'll be fine, believe me, now go" They did as I said and went back to the highway.

I continued searching for Sophia for an hour when I finally saw her, she was facing away from me so I quietly walked up behind her and grabbed her while putting my hand over her mouth so her screams were muffled.

"Hey, hey Sophia it's only me, Kara, I've come to help you"

She stopped screaming and hugged me. Two walkers suddenly came from in the trees.

I ran with Sophia down to a river and found a space in the side.

"You hide in here and I'll lead them away, if I don't come back, head back to the highway, keep the sun on your left shoulder and you'll get back to us" I kissed her forehead and went to the walkers,

I lead them as far away as I could before stabbing them in the head with one of my arrows.

I headed quickly back to the river since I had been out atleast 3 hours on my own and Daryl was probably ripping everyone head off, only to find Sophia had gone.

"Dammit" I whispered, but it was too dark to keep searching and I needed to get back, we would head out tomorrow.

I walked back to the highway to be greeted with 3 guns and a crossbow aimed at my face.

"It's just me" I said.

"Where the hell were you?" Daryl asked, obviously pissed.

"Trying to save a little girl!" I retorted.

"Did you find my baby!?" Carol came running over.

I explained the situation and Rick, Daryl and Glenn offered to go out searching tomorrow, Daryl wouldn't let me come with them.

She was upset, obviously, but she handled it well if you were to ask me, if I had a daughter and they were lost in the woods over nightg I would not be that calm about it.

I punched the side of the RV out of frustration that I couldn't save the poor womans child, and now she would have to be alone in the cold all night.

I punched it again and collapsed to the ground and covered my face with my hands, why didn't I just stab the damn walkers when they came out and brought her back safe? Or just lead them away a little bit instead of freaking miles? Why am I so stupid?

I heard footsteps coming towards me and someone sat down next to me.

"Are you okay?" I heard the familiar voice of the sheriff himself.

I lifted my head to see his gleaming blue eyes staring at me, full of worry.

"Yeah,I suppose, just frustrated that I couldn't save Sophia"

"It wasn't your fault you know, you did the right thing, you did what anyone else would do, Carol appreciates it and she knows it's not your fault that she ran off"

"I..I told her to keep the sun on her left shoulder...and that she should get back..."

"I'm going out to look for her again tomorrow, with Daryl, Glenn, Lori, Andrea and Carol, you should come with us"

"Daryl won't let me"

"Come anyway, he can't control you"

I thought about it for a second before nodding "Okay".