Chapter 3

Jareth stared at Sarah, perplexed. Where were the recriminations, false bravado and overconfidence he had anticipated out of Sarah? He had been braced for a round of protests and choruses of "It's not Fair!" Instead, here she was, sweet, polite, and actually apologizing to him! She had even curtsied, for heaven sake!

Jareth continued staring at Sarah as he tried to fathom this new twist. Was this some new tactic of Sarah's to get him to release her? Jareth considered confronting Sarah, but decided against it. After all, what could he accuse her of; being nice and obeying him, just as he ordered?

Jareth decided to just go forward with his own plans and ignore Sarah's behavior.

When he spoke, his voice was strong and clear, but free of its usual sarcastic overtone.

"You may like to know, Sarah that I kept my part of the bargain. Hoggle is safe and resting right here in the castle. You can even see him later." he said casually." For now, I have other business to attend to. I'm afraid you have come at rather bad time, at least for you, Sarah. This is the week I usually hear petitions and settle disputes for my kingdom. I'm afraid you may find it a trifle boring for your tastes. However, it is my will that you remain here while I do; so you will have to simply endure it."

Sarah suspected that the Goblin King might be trying to bait her, but refused to take it.

Instead, she merely smiled again .

"Oh, I don't mind at all, Your Majesty." she said meekly. "I'll stay wherever you like. If you could just tell me where I should be; after all, I wouldn't want to get in your way."

Jareth indicated a spot just to the right of his throne. Irritated, he took his place on his throne as he watched Sarah looking around. He paused, expecting her to comment.

Sarah went to the spot Jareth pointed to and looked around for a place to sit. Unfortunately, there wasn't one to be found. It seemed the Goblin King had no intention of providing her a seat. Out of the corner of her eye, Sarah could see Jareth looking at her expectantly. Obviously, he was waiting for her to complain or make some comment.

Sarah just smiled and remained silent. Reluctantly, Jareth instructed the Royal

Chamberlain to begin court.

As various goblins came forward with numerous requests and disputes for the next hour, Jareth only half listened. His attention kept straying to the sight of the lovely Sarah standing silent next to his throne. Though he could tell she was most definitely paying attention to the proceedings, she never uttered one word or moved an inch. She merely stood quietly, hands folded in front of her on the precise spot he had indicated earlier. For some reason, he found her position very irritating. Surely she didn't intend to stand all day like that! Sometimes these sessions could go on for hours; Sarah would be exhausted!

As the next hour went on, Sarah's immobility continued to grate on Jareth until he could stand it no longer. He held up his hand for the court to pause and threw a globe behind Sarah.

Instantly, an ornate, padded chair appeared directly behind her. Jareth turned to Sarah as she looked at the chair.

"Well?!!" he said in exasperation.

Sarah looked back at the Goblin King with an innocent expression.

"Yes, Your Majesty?"

"For Heaven's Sake, Sarah, sit down!!" he ordered.

Sarah fought to hide her smile as she obeyed.

"Yes, your majesty."

Jareth let out a frustrated sigh and signaled for court to resume.