Chapter 14

After their second lovemaking, Sarah fell forward onto Jareth's chest, breathing heavily from their shared passion. Ever so gently, Jareth turned Sarah's face toward him and looked deeply into her lovely green eyes.

With infinite tenderness, he brushed her hair back.

Gazing soulfully back, Sarah whispered the words Jareth had waited centuries to hear.

"I love you, Jareth." she ventured, breathlessly.

Pulling her closer, Jareth spoke in a voice equally as soft, but laced with determination.

"You're mine now, Sarah, my love, utterly and completely. There will be no one else for either of us, ever." Jareth replied forcefully.

Sarah blushed as Jareth moved her to his side and began to kiss her again. They made love several more times until they were both quite exhausted. Finally, they both snuggled close, satiated and sleepy. Embracing her tenderly, Jareth rocked Sarah in his arms until once again they both drifted back into peaceful repose.

As the first rays of a new day broke over the Goblin city, The Goblin King was lying in bed, head propped up on his elbow indulging in his newest, most favorite hobby: watching his lovely Sarah sleep. He had thought that having her sharing his chambers was enjoyable; but nothing compared to the pleasure it gave him to see her sleeping warm and replete next to him in his own bed. The night before he had found that he relished all the little details he was learning about his lovely Sarah, knowing that she would share them with only him. For one thing, Sarah loved to snuggle. Every time she had drifted off to sleep, she had promptly cuddled up next to him almost immediately. For another, Sarah loved to burrow down deep under the blankets. Every time Jareth awoke, she was covered up all the way to her nose. He found it quite enchanting.

Unfortunately, the door to his bedroom opened and little Atta came quietly creeping in.

Any other goblin would have instantly incurred the Goblin King's terrible wrath for daring to disturb him. But Sarah liked Atta, so Jareth was prepared to be a little tolerant.

"What is it, Atta?" the Goblin King inquired, taking care to keep his voice low so as not to wake Sarah.

"Sorry, Kingy." she whispered in a tiny, frightened voice. "Me no want to disturb you and Lady Sarah, but goblins in the throne room getting hysterical. You no there this morning and they going crazy. They think something happen to you."

Sighing in angry frustration, Jareth gently extricated himself from the bed and got up. Usually, he was in the throne room long before now. Obviously, his absence had sent the goblins into a panic; sometimes being Goblin King was a trying burden. Summoning his usual magic, he was instantly dressed and ready for his day. Regretfully, he looked back to the bewitching form of his still sleeping Sarah and it gave him an idea. With a smirk, he summoned another globe of special magic and cast it. Within moments, a ripple of magic blew through the room like a summer breeze. The Goblin King glanced around, surveyed his handiwork.

Frowning, he noticed the covers had slipped down on Sarah, leaving her back exposed as she shivered a bit.

Irritated, he promptly kicked the bed leg and hissed angrily at it.

"Hey, you; pay attention! My Sarah's cold!" he growled in displeasure.

Soundlessly, the covers glided back up over Sarah of their own accord and she sighed in contentment. Placated, the King's smile returned and he departed to restore order to his kingdom.

Sarah awoke, warm and comfortable in the huge bed. She was a tad disappointed to realize Jareth was no longer beside her. Lazily, she stretched. As she looked around, she was surprised to see that Jareth's chambers had changed again. The red curtains that had separated her former room had disappeared as had the bed and fireplace. In place of the bed, a new larger wardrobe stood next to the dressing table in front of the large bay window. The rose theme however, remained and had expanded to extend to the whole room. Though subtle, the rose theme now seemed everywhere. The large frescos on the walls and ceiling had roses entwined in each scene. The mantle over the huge fireplace contained rose accents. Even the bed now had a carved rose vine running up its dark posts mingled with the other carvings. But it was the owl figure carved over the headboard that surprised Sarah most. Essentially it looked the same; a magnificently carved white owl perched on a glided half moon. But now, clutched in one of its talons was a beautifully carved red rose in full bloom.