Chapter 5

The Goblin King realized that he needed to know more. Addressing the globe he still held, he spoke a spell. Though he burned with jealousy, he still needed answers.

"Show me the lover who holds Sarah's heart and commands her affection. I want to know who she dreams of!" the Goblin King ordered.

Once again the Goblin King was taken aback and his heart skipped a beat. The face in the globe staring back at him was his own! Momentarily stunned, Jareth pondered this new twist.

He held Sarah's heart?!! Suddenly, a wave of pleasure quickly washed over Jareth that was more pleasing than anything he had felt in a very long time. It was swiftly followed by a surge of exhilaration that was intoxicating. He held Sarah's heart!!

An arrogant smugness rapidly appeared on the Goblin King's face. Of course he held Sarah's heart! Why shouldn't he? No mere mortal could compete with Fey for the affections of Sarah! In typical Goblin King arrogance, Jareth magnanimously forgave Sarah for their previous misunderstandings; putting it down to her obvious youth. Smiling, Jareth stood and prepared to go to her imagining what he would say.

But the Goblin King's smile swiftly faded and he sat back down with a distinct thump. What could he say? I've discovered I hold your heart?!! Then, what?

The more he considered things, the more Jareth realized with dawning comprehension that things were still very complicated between him and Sarah. While he might hold her heart, he seriously doubted that Sarah trusted him. Why should she? Hadn't he used every trick he knew to get things his own way every time they met? He had even manipulated Sarah by using her affection for her friend Hoggle to get her back in his power. With a sigh, Jareth realized just how badly his arrogance had made him botch things with Sarah.

But Jareth refused to give up. He knew he had to find a way to make things right with Sarah. After all, hadn't she kept up her part of their agreement? Not once had she uttered one complaint and had done all that he ordered. Though she was technically in his power, Jareth decided he could use that fact to show Sarah how much he cared for her. But, how?

Jareth thought back over the day and was hit by a flash of inspiration. Of course! The Goblin King became almost euphoric as he remembered part of Sarah's conversation to Hoggle. Jareth realized he could give Sarah now what she had been forced to turn down last time; her dreams! What better way to prove his affection than giving Sarah what she had been deprived of in their last encounter; and who better to grant those dreams than the Goblin King?

Jareth turned back to the globe he had absently been toying with this whole time and gave it another order.

"Show me Sarah's most romantic dream; the one she dreams most often."

Jareth watched in rapt attention as the globe revealed a swirling mist. In the globe, an image of the King dressed as he had been in the ballroom materialized in a scene that strongly resembled the ball room as well. Soon Sarah appeared dressed as she was that night; only this time, she was older. In fact, she looked much the same as she did now. Together the two seemed to float as they whirled around the ballroom surrounded by a nebulous mist. In the dream, Jareth once again sang to Sarah, much as he had that night. But this time, no clock struck. As the image stopped singing and the song ended, Sarah was enfolded into the Goblin King's arms and he lowered his lips to hers in a passionate kiss. As the kiss went on, the mist swirled up and the image faded. Mesmerized, Jareth sat back.

Within moments, his autocratic smile had returned minus its usually disdainful element.

So, his Sarah wanted a ball, did she? Well, then he would give her the greatest ball the Goblin kingdom had ever seen and Sarah would be its crowning glory! Jareth intended to give Sarah whatever her heart desired and in the Goblin kingdom, Jareth's will was supreme. Ironically, in spite of his affection, Jareth still viewed Sarah with a distinctly proprietary Fey attitude. Sarah was solely his and that was all there was to it.