Chapter 11

Sarah returned to her room to rest for a bit before the ball. As she entered, Atta summoned her to the wardrobe. There inside was an exact replica of the dress she had worn in the peach induced dream from her first trip to the Labyrinth. Though the dress was as ornate and extravagant as she remembered, Sarah felt no desire to wear it to tonight's ball. The gown's bejeweled bodice and puffed sleeves were lovely, but it only served to drive home to Sarah how much she herself had changed since the last time she had come to the Goblin Kingdom. If anything, it only invoked a bit of nostalgic pathos in Sarah for the childish, melodramatic teen she once had been.

But, Sarah was no longer that teen and this time, there was far more at stake. Sometime during the last few hours, Sarah had begun to realize that she could not risk continuing on with her previous plan. She now knew beyond any doubt that she truly loved Jareth with all her heart. Though he had been his usual self earlier that day, his abrupt withdrawal the day before had unnerved and frightened Sarah beyond measure. She simply could not risk losing him by continuing to play games. It was time to admit her feelings and take the risk. Though chancy, Sarah felt she had little alternative concerning how strongly she now felt about the Goblin King.

After resting for a bit, Sarah began to prepare for the ball. With Atta's help, Sarah dressed in the simple, but elegant silk sheath of sapphire blue she had ordered from the seamstress the day before. Though Atta objected, Sarah had refused to pin her long hair up in some over-coiffed design. Instead, she chose to leave it free down her back, held in place only by two simple silver combs and a single silver ribbon. A matching pair of blue slippers completed her outfit.

The Goblin King called for Sarah, dressed in a dashing blue outfit similar to the one from Sarah's own sweet romantic dream. Though the cut and color were similar to his outfit in the peach induced vision, this suit had none of the garish sequins or glitter. Instead, it was made of the finest velvet and elegantly cut to give the Goblin King a regal and imposing appearance. The very sight of Jareth took Sarah's breath away.

The Goblin King was a bit taken aback not to see Sarah in the elaborate gown he had been expecting. But as he gazed at her, he found he actually preferred this older, far more mature look on Sarah. Free of any unnecessary adornment, Sarah's outfit accented her natural beauty and made him more conscious than ever of the fact that Sarah was now quite grown up. If possible, it made him desire her even more.

"Sarah" he began." You look so lovely it makes words inadequate."

Blushing, Sarah replied, "Thank you, Jareth. You look magnificent yourself."

"Shall we go?'" he offered.

"Wait a moment, please." Sarah interrupted. "I have something I want to give you. I know it isn't much, but when I saw it, it instantly reminded me of you. I hope you like it." Hesitantly, she held out the elegant pouch to Jareth.

Mystified, Jareth took the small pouch and opened it to reveal an expertly crafted stick pin of an owl made of the finest moonstone. The Owl stood perched on a crescent moon of wrought gold. Awed and humbled, Jareth turned to Sarah.

"It's lovely, Sarah! I've never seen anything like it. Thank you. Would you care to pin it on me?" he said huskily.

Sarah moved closer and carefully pinned the owl to his jacket, her hands lingering for a moment on his chest. Leaning closer, Jareth was strongly tempted to kiss Sarah, but pulled back. Mentally shaking himself, he offered her his arm.

"Shall we go?" he asked.

"Yes, "replied Sarah, grateful for the interruption of her thoughts. Seeing Jareth dressed as he had been in her dream so many times made Sarah remember the passionate kiss they shared in it. Suddenly, she desperately wanted her dream to be reality! Seeing Jareth this way was stirring strange, unfamiliar desires in Sarah she couldn't name.

As Jareth stood before the huge doors leading to the ballroom, he couldn't help but relish the bright enthusiasm that shimmered in Sarah's eyes. This was the culmination of all of his efforts to convince Sarah that they belonged together. If tonight went well, Jareth hoped he could convince Sarah to remain with him forever. As the doors opened, the ballroom glittered brightly from the shining chandeliers and dozens of reflective mirrors that graced the walls. The music seemed to swell from all directions above the noise of the many revelers. Smugly, Jareth glanced around; certain he had not left out a single detail.

Sarah entered the ballroom on Jareth's arm, filled with excitement. She had been anticipating this ball for two days, eager to spend a romantic night on Jareth's arm. Unfortunately, the sight that greeted her instantly filled her with disappointment and made her smile waver. As in the peach dream, but unlike her romantic one, the room was filled to overflowing with noisy, raucous revelers. The boorish, cacophonous group instantly robbed Sarah of any joy she felt at coming to the ball. Dispirited, she felt her excitement slipping away.

Next to Sarah, the Goblin King sensed the immediate change in Sarah and watched, mystified, as the smile of pleasure disappeared from her face. Confused, Jareth looked around. What could possibly have caused such a change? He had been so careful to recreate every detail. Finally, he turned to Sarah in concern.

"Sarah," he asked. "Is something wrong?"

Taking a deep breath, Sarah mustered her courage and plastered on a fake smile.

"No, nothing." she replied with false brightness. "It's wonderful."

At that moment, the group surged forward toward the couple en masse and several of the more debauched put out grasping hands in Sarah's direction.

Suppressing a shudder of distaste, Sarah took an involuntary step back toward Jareth.

Though tiny, her actions had the effect of a lighting bolt on Jareth.

Of course! The revelers! They hadn't been in Sarah's version of the dream!

Jareth raised his hand and snapped his fingers. Though his hands were gloves, there was a distinctive pop and the rowdy group instantly vanished. Immediately, Sarah's shoulders relaxed and she seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. Still, she turned to the Goblin King in confusion.

"What happened? Where did they go?" Sarah questioned.

"Who?' Jareth replied.

" Your guests." Sarah answered.

Jareth laughed rather gently. "Those weren't guests, Sarah." he answered with a dismissive wave of his hand." They were just a glamour; an illusion that I summon sometimes when I have a ball. They aren't even real."

"Oh." she said still a little perplexed. "Why did you get rid of them?"

Jareth smiled a bit of a feral smile that two days before would have totally unnerved Sarah. Now she found it rather exhilarating." I find their presence annoying tonight. I find I prefer your company much more, Sarah."

For the rest of the evening, Sarah remained at the Goblin King's side. Though she noticed that there were some genuine guests at the ball, namely the Goblin City mayor and town council members, they kept their distance. She and Jareth spent the rest of the evening dancing, talking, and just enjoying each other's company completely uninterrupted. No one dared intrude into their private tryst. For his part, the Goblin King had been an attentive and caring escort, always staying at Sarah's side.

That evening, Sarah sensed a subtle but powerful change in Jareth himself. During the past two days he had touched Sarah on several occasions, but it had always been gentle and very brief. Tonight, he seemed to always have Sarah tucked quite close to him. Whether drawing her closer while dancing, or placing an arm around her as they talked, Jareth maintained a gentle, but constant hold on Sarah. Several times during the night, she had felt his gloved fingers gently stroke the small of her back or lightly caress her arm. Each time she had turned to Jareth to see the strange gleam she still couldn't fathom had returned to his eyes. As the night wore on and it began to get late, Jareth took Sarah out onto the balcony of the ballroom. Overheard, the moon shone against a sky filled backdrop of a thousand stars. Below them, the Goblin City twinkled, a carpet of lights.

Jareth pulled Sarah very close and behind his back, waved his hand. Immediately, the music from the song he sang to her last time and in her dream began to spill forth from the ballroom. Jareth wanted to sing to his sweet Sarah again, but she chose that moment to place her hands softly on his chest and suddenly, he couldn't stop himself from lowering his mouth to hers for the much anticipated kiss.