Chapter 4: First Date

"Not quite how I imagined it happening," Rarity remarked, "but romantic, nonetheless."

"Our first date went pretty well, too." Rainbow said, ignoring Rarity's remark. "We were both nervous, but we both knew our nervousness was uncalled for..."

The doorbell rang. I scrambled to get to it. Dad saw my scrambling, and stepped back.

I opened the door to Firestar's smiling face. "Hey!" I greeted him, drawing him into a hug.

"Hey, Dash!" He returned the embrace. "You ready to go?"

"Yep!" I turned. "Bye, dad!"

"Have a good time!" He said. "Don't do anything too crazy!"

"We'll try not to destroy Cloudsdale." I laughed.

"He chuckled. "That, too."

My face went red. "D-Dad!" I exclaimed. "First date! We're not going to rut!"

He just laughed. "I know! I know. I'm just messing with you."

"Ugh!" I groaned, but I was smiling. I knew my dad meant well, and I can't say I wouldn't mess with my friends the exact same way.

"We'll try not to make all of Cloudsdale evacuate from our screams of pleasure." Firestar joked.

As my dad just lost it, I stared at Firestar, speechless. "I... You... Am I missing something, here?"

"A sense of humor." Firestar replied innocently.

I glared at him, but, I had to admit, the whole situation actually was pretty amusing. Eventually, I found myself laughing right alongside them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We sat down at our seats in the restaurant. Most ponies would usually want fancy things for their dates, especially their first ones, but Firestar and I were simple ponies, in that regard; we both preferred your average, casual restaurant with your average, casual hayburger and fries, or maybe a sandwich. We weren't trying to be cheap; we were getting what we both actually preferred to have.

"You know," Firestar began," "the only problem I can think of about dating your best friend is that, on dates, you don't have nearly as much to talk about."

I snorted, knowing that he just said what had popped into his head, and was trying to lighten the mood with a bit of comedy. We both chuckled.

The conversation turned to the Wonderbolts' latest performance. After a minute, our meals arrived, and we ate, exchanging words in between bites.

It sounds dull and simple, but it was nice. It was what we both enjoyed doing.

We spent a couple more hours strolling around Cloudsdale. Occasionally, we'd opt to fly, instead. Surprisingly, we only had three races. We mostly just flew side-by-side, relaxing with each other, and enjoying the crisp, midday air.

Eventually we found ourselves in front of my house, again.

"Did you..." Firestar began, worried, "did you like it?"

I smiled, and gave him a great, big hug. "I loved it." I replied softly.

We stayed in each other's embrace for a few seconds longer. Eventually, I stepped back. "Thanks, Fire." I said.

"It was my pleasure." He replied.

Most ponies probably expect their first kiss (at least, first while being in a relationship) to be something super special. Ours was both special and not special. It wasn't pre-planned. It was spur of the moment, and it wasn't in any kind of romantic setting. We just... did it.

I leaned in, and he did the same. Our lips met, and for a moment, the rest of the world ceased to exist. It was just us. And it wasperfect.

The moment was interrupted by a pony clearing his throat.

I gasped and whipped around. Dad was standing in the doorway, smirking. "First date, and your kisses are that long?"

I blushed. "D-Dad! I-We-It's-" I realized he was laughing, and clamped my mouth shut.

"It's not nearly as much as your mother and I used to do, after dates." He joked. "It's almost suppertime, you two. Why don't you come in, Firestar?"

Firestar stammered for a second, and then settled with shrugging and saying "Okay. Thanks!"

"You've always been welcome here." My dad replied. "Sometimes I wonder if you stay here more than you stay at your own house."

A ding! sounded from the kitchen.

"Oh!" My dad exclaimed. "There's dinner! Come on in, and let's eat!"