Part 8

Eighth period approaches and my heart races as I make my way towards my class. Yesterday I was the same Lux I've been for the past 3 years, swooning over Corey from afar, today I'm the girl that Corey has his eyes on. I never imagined this would ever happen. Once I reach the classroom, I go to sit in my spot I was in yesterday. Corey isn't here yet so I use this moment to take out my pocket mirror and make sure I look okay. I apply some Chapstick and stick my mirror back in my bag. I glance up towards the door to see Corey walk in. He scans the room and then looks at me, his face brightening up. A couple people look over at us in shock as he walks over.

"Hey Corey!" I grin while he sits down at the desk next to mine. I can't say that I mind that Julie, the bossy braniac, won't be able to sit by me today.

"Hi Lux!" Corey sweetly replies and I try to hide my rosy cheeks by resting my chin on my palm. He swings his back pack around to the floor and Mr. Page begins to speak.

"Good Afternoon class. Come up to my desk, grab a textbook, and turn to page 47." I raise up to go just as Corey stops me.

"I'll get yours." He smiles and I sit back down, my heart speeding up again. This is really going to take a while for me to get used to. Corey comes back with two thick books and lays one on my desk. We both flip to the required page and I look over to see Corey looking at me. He looks back down at his book and I can see his ears getting red. How on earth is Corey Haim blushing because of me?

"Read the first two pages up until section two. Raise your hand when you're done and I'll give you a worksheet." Mr. Page states with a monotone. Corey leans back in his chair and crosses his arms. I begin reading as the class falls to silence. A minute passes before Mr. Page's voice cuts through the quiet room. "Mr. Haim? Mr. Haim, are we going to have a problem?"

"No, sir." He grins, raises up, and looks down at his book but I can tell he's pretending to read.

"What're you doing?" I whisper.

"This guy," Corey makes a gun with his finger and playfully shoots himself. "I had him Freshman year for Californian History. He's just fun to mess with."

I smile and nod my head. "Well, good luck with that."

"Miss Fontaine? Do I need to split the two of you up?" Mr. Page cuts through once again.

"Actually, sir, it was my fault." Corey lays his hand on his chest. "I was explaining to her some of the important things you taught in Californian History Freshman year." He sarcastically smiles and I try not giggle.

"Oh, is that so? Did you tell her how you failed?" Mr. Page challenges him.

"Well, no, but that's only because I see it that you failed me." Everyone in the class lets out a laugh including me. "But please, Mr. Page, let me do my work now so I can succeed this year." Corey says very seriously and picks up his pencil while I sit laughing, unable to hide it.

"Mr. Haim, I don't want to hear your voice for the rest of this period." Mr. Page says, sounding annoyed and used to this kind of behavior from Corey.

"Okay." Corey mumbles and I cannot help but smirk. I continue reading our assignment but I keep thinking of Corey and smile the whole time. Once we get our paper, he writes a little comment in the corner and pushes it out to the edge of his desk. I discreetly look over and it reads,

Excited for tonight?

I nod my head and smile. Corey erases the comment and writes a new one.

Me too. I really like you, Lux.

I look over at Corey and he's looking down at the book with a serious face. I can tell he isn't trying to be funny or even flirty, he's just stating how he feels. I pick up my pencil and write my own comment on my paper.

I really like you too.

Corey smiles and his ears grow red again. We both erase our comments but you can still vaguely see them.

The bell rings and I'm almost finished with the paper. I stuff it in my back pack as Mr. Page speaks over the loud teenagers, "I want this turned in by tomorrow." I put my back pack on and Corey walks behind me out the door. At this point, everyone in the hallway has their eyes on us and they all make way as we walk through.

"Do you need a ride home today?" Corey asks as we're the center of attention.

"No, I have my car today." I had it yesterday, too.

"Oh, okay. Well, I'll walk you to it." He smiles as we head towards the parking lot. We pass by a group of his former friends, luckily for me, Alicia isn't one. I grow nervous but Corey ignores them and walks closer by my side.

"Is it hard?" I ask once we pass them. "I mean, not being friends with them anymore."

He pauses for a moment and squints his eyes as he looks off into thought. "No." Corey smiles and shrugs his shoulders. "Not really. I actually feel this weight lifted off of me now." I smile as we approach my car, our arms slightly touching. "There isn't the pressure to be anything I'm not." He speaks as we come to a stop.

"I'm really happy for you. That's a brave thing to do." I smile reassuringly and I just want to lean in and hug him. Instead, I dig around my bag to fetch my keys. "Thanks for walking me to my car, Corey."

"Of course. I'll see you at 7." His hands reside in his pocket and he takes a step and leans in to kiss my cheek. I grin and unlock my car, somehow keeping my cool. Once I close my door, I frantically react. Oh my god...