Part 10

On the way to my "surprise" Corey raves on and on about his love for outdoor concerts.

"I love them." He smiles. "I uh went to this Pretenders concert once when I was like 14," His mouth moves quick but I watch him closely as though I can capture every moment. "I was sitting really far from the stage on the grass but it didn't matter! It was incredible, incredible...I had so much fun." Corey's eyes keep on the road although his mind seems to be in the past. He licks his lips and begins again, "I guess it's more of a relaxed atmosphere," He motions his hand around like he's holding a smaller version of the world, "you know, everyone's got a beer in their hand, they're all just having a good time." Corey chuckles, glancing my way and I nod, smiling.

"I've never been to an outdoor concert!" I say, brushing a strand of hair away from my face as I notice that I don't recognize the street we're on.

"Really!" Corey exclaims. "Alright...alright..." He says as though lost in a thought, a plan.

We are close to the destination and I know this because Corey has made me put my jacket over my head to make sure I don't peak.

"I don't want you to know!" He laughed. "Just put it over your head and I'll let you know when you can take it off."

I giggled and turned to him, covered. "How do I look?"

"Like the most gorgeous piece of denim I've ever seen!"

We drove like this slowly for maybe 5 minutes, I could hear Corey speak to a man outside the window as we stopped and the sound of paper- maybe money?- rustling around. Finally the car parked.

"Okay, voilá!" Corey gently took my jacket off my head and in front of the car was a massive white screen with a 10 minute countdown. We were at the drive in.

My mouth dropped open, again. I had always wanted to go on a date to the drive in like they did in the old days. I went a couple of times with my parents when I was little but I always fell asleep and they were always modern movies. "Corey!" A smile was plastered across my face. "What are we going to watch?" I excitingly asked.

"Paper Moon." He grinned. "It's one of my favorites, I think you'll like it." My heart was beating faster than I thought possible and I had to force myself not to lean in and kiss him again. Especially with the way he was sitting leaned back, his legs apart and one arm around the small of my back. I noticed his eyes shift down towards my lips and I couldn't help but smile. "Can I kiss you?" He says quietly and his blue eyes nearly glistened as he spoke this. I can only bring myself to nod my head because I'm practically speechless and head over heels at this point. I feel his hand pull against my back and closer to him, causing me to lean up further in my seat. His lips press into mine and I feel his tongue slowly searching for mine. His other hand reaches up for my cheek as I lay mine against his chest. I notice his heart beat quicken and thud harder and louder with each second. Our breathes quicken but that doesn't stop him from kissing me harder and I can feel my legs grow weak. Corey's hand lowers from my back towards my bottom and I lower mine from his chest towards his lower stomach. After a moment, he pulls away but remains close to me.

"I- uh- I really really like you, Lux." He weakly chuckles in a nervous way and looks down. "And I don't want to take this too fast. I want to take my time with you," His eyes connect back with mine. "if that's okay with you." I smile. "Even though you drive me crazy." His boyish side smirk sneaks up as he leans in to give me a quick peck.

I blush but nod my head in agreement, "Yeah, I wanna take my time with you too." Corey then readjusts himself in his seat and puts his arm around my shoulders as the countdown is down to 5 minutes.

"I'll go get us a drink and some popcorn." Corey grins. "Do you like Coke?"

I shake my head yes and he leaves yet another sweet kiss upon my cheek. As the door closes behind him, my heart falls into a frenzy. I'm beginning to grow such strong feelings for this boy. Someone who I've admire from afar every single damn day for 3 entire years is out getting popcorn and a drink for us to share while we watch an old film at the drive-in. Corey Haim. I think to myself. Corey Fucking Haim. A name I looked for in every yearbook before I looked for my own. He was only a face in the hall, a name in a story, a picture in a school yearbook, and now I'm sitting in his car. Anything really is possible. I'm stuck staring off into the distance when I hear the driver's side door open up. Corey sits down and sets the large paper cup into the cup holder and the bag of popcorn into his lap.

"Your gourmét dinner, madam." Corey clears his throat and smirks while putting on a French waiter voice.

I giggle and pick up a kernel and pop it in my mouth. "Perfecto!"

Corey chuckles and sets his arm around me as the countdown is lowered to 2 minutes.

"So what's Paper Moon about?" I ask, trying to continue on the taking our 'time' path.

Corey's eyes widen like a child's with excitement and begins, "Okay, I don't want to reveal too much so I'll be vague! This little kid's mom dies and at the funeral is this unknown man. Like nobody knows where he came from." I smile at the way he explains things. It gives me butterflies the way he talks and moves his hands as he speaks. "So the kid, you know, the one whose mom died, follows the man around after the funeral because it doesn't have any other family." He's quick and blunt with his words and I giggle. He has no clue how wonderful he is. A smile creeps up on his face towards my reaction, "You'll love it!"

Then the music begins playing, indicating the start of the movie. I nuzzle my head to rest on Corey's shoulder as the warmth of his hand is around mine.