Part 14

Corey's P.O.V.

I follow behind Lux as she makes her way into the building. I can feel my heart in my throat as she turns around and smiles, causing me to burn red.

"Let's get it to-go, I kind of want to walk around." Lux suggests as she leans against the counter, peering at the menu.

"Alright." I reply, hoping she doesn't see how nervous I'm getting. I want to make her my girlfriend. But how?

The man behind the counter wearing a white visor and a pair of bifocals asks if we're ready to order. "Yes, could I have a medium vanilla cappuccino?" Lux speaks kindly, making my knees go weak.

I nearly forget to order but soon reality hits me as I notice Lux and the man behind the counter awkwardly staring at me. "Oh- sorry, uhm, could I get a medium latte with an extra shot of espresso?"

"Of course. Will that be all?" I nod at him as he clicks away at the register. I reach into my pocket for my wallet as I notice Lux pulling out hers. I gently touch her hand and let her know that I'll pay, but she only rolls her eyes.

"Come on, Lux." I smile at her pout. "Please, let me pay today." I've got to pay today. I want to make this girl mine. I want to take care of everything for her.

"Fine." She lets out a small giggle as I hand over the man the cash. I put the change into the tip jar as we wait a few moments for our drinks to be ready.

"Order up!" A man behind the kitchen yells, but I can't seem to take my eyes off of Lux as she watches out the window as the cars pass by. I finally turn around and grab the drinks, handing Lux hers as we walk back to my car. I quickly walk in front of her so I can get her door open. She flashes me an adorable smile, causing me to feel like lightning just bolted through me. I happily go around into the driver's side before asking Lux where she wants to go walking.

"I was thinking Hummingbird Park." She speaks softly, slowly sipping on her coffee.

"Okee doh kee." I nod and pull out of the lot, trying to think of how to ask her The Big Question now. Okee doh kee? Dude, you never say that.

We finally arrive to the park and I sway closer to her and take her hand in mine. I can feel my brain buzzing and turning to goo as my heart leaps from my chest. Whew, okay Corey. Breathe slow. Keep calm.

"Let's go on the swings!" Lux suggests with a cute smile as she runs off. I slowly jog behind her and take a seat beside her as we both kick our feet and glide into the air. "I've been having so much fun, Corey." She smiles but keeps looking down as her cheeks glow up. I just want to grab her and kiss her right now.

"Me too." Is all I manage to say through my nervous throat.

She swings higher and higher and holds her head back as she asks, "Did you hear about that new horror movie coming out?"

I chuckle to myself at her lack of detail. "I don't know, what's it about?"

"This evil doll that, like, kills people I guess?" Lux giggles and I notice the orange and pink tint in the sky which surrounds us.

"Yeah! Child's Play!"

"Yes!"

"I really wanna see that! Wanna go? I think it comes out in November." I quickly ask, my nerves slowly fading away.

"Okay. I mean, it looks really scary, but I'll go if you're there with me." My heart speeds back up at the sound of her voice and she starts to slow her swing down.

"Yeah, you can sit on my lap in case you notice a creepy doll running around the theater." I joke as she lets out a loud and beautiful laugh. She raises up from her still swing and slowly walks towards me. What is she doing? Calm down, Corey. Damn.

"I'm kind of scared now." Lux gives me a small smile and I understand what she's doing.

"Well, I mean...I mean- you can sit on my la-lap." What the fuck are you doing, man? Stay cool. Stop stut-stu-stuttering, you idiot!

Lux turns around and holds onto the chains of my swing as she lifts her self onto my legs. I wrap my hands around her waist and she slowly turns her head to the side and looks at me.

"Lux..." I hear myself involuntarily say.

"Come on, let's swing. It'll be fun with the two of us." She giggles and turns back around, making my heart feel warm.

I push my feet off the ground as we both swing off into the Californian air. Okay, Corey, you'll know when the time is right. Just let it go, have fun, and you'll know when to do it. Okay? So, just, stop acting so weird.

"Lux, you know Space Age Love Song?"

"Yeah. I love that song. It was playing in the car when you first drove me home." Oh my god she remembers.

"Yeah, it was. I didn't know you noticed." I lean over and kiss her cheek.

"Of course I noticed."

I put my feet down against the dirt and slow the swing down to a stop. Lux raises up and turns over to look at me with this sort of glitter in her eye. The fading sun lights up her face and I gather my courage to stand up and take this moment.

"Lux?" I raise out of the swing as she looks up to me. "I uh- I really like you. And, I know I tell you that all the time...but," I take a deep breathe and block out my brain from imaging all of the worst possibilities.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"