Out with the Old and in with the Old

‘’and she’s buying the stairway to heaven’’

How is it that this has gone from being my most favorite song in the world to a song that I absolutely despise? Probably because I set it to my alarm clock and now every time I hear it my mind is relocated to waking up 7:30 am on a Monday morning, where I practically have to be dragged out of bed. But right now it’s the start of my summer and I’m waking up at 5:30 in the morning. Why on earth would I put myself through that monstrosity? I’ll tell you why, my brother Jake is getting out jail today. 6 months to the very day he was sent away, though he’s lucky there was overcrowding otherwise it would have been a year. I went to visit him when he was there, but this is different, now there’s no glass wall separating us. Oh don’t worry, it’s not like he was abusive or anything, just an idiot. He thought it would be a good idea to start selling cocaine, you know, just for some ‘’extra cash’’. Well that ‘’extra cash’’ turned out to be 100,000 dollars.

‘’Common sweetie, we gotta be there by 6:15 to pick up your brother'' My Mom said tugging at my sheets.

‘’Five more minutes’’ I mumbled grumpily before turning over.

‘’Cali, we need to put up a united front as a family’’ My dad pitched in as he came into my room while my mother fussed over his attire.

‘’Oh Donnie, surely you could have worn a tie’’ She scolded disapprovingly.

‘’Oh yea because this is such a joyous occasion’’ My other brother Ryan said sarcastically as he joined.

I suddenly became very aware of the fact that I was only wearing a thong and the only thing covering me was a white blanket.

‘’If you get out of my room, I’ll be in the car in 5’’ I said tiredly rubbing my eyes.

And just like that they were gone.

***

‘’Cali, wake up, were here’’ Ryan said nudging me to wake up.

‘’Oh fun’’ I replied as I climbed out the car.

‘’Well kids I’m sure not gonna miss this building’’ My Mom said cheerily as my father helped her out the car.

‘’Did you really have to bring the Bentley?’’ Ryan argued as we walked towards the gates ‘’It’s garnering a little too much attention don’t you think?’’

‘’Come on Son, we don’t want Jake to feel like anything has changed, and we always take the Bentley when we go out on family outings’’ My Dad replied as we walked into the prison and my Mom checked in.

‘’Funny I wasn’t aware picking up your son from jail counted as a family outing’’ I said bitterly.

‘’What is the problem you guys, Jake is your brother’’ my Dad argued angrily.

‘’The problem isn’t with him Dad it’s with you’’ Ryan said the volume of his voice rising up a notch, ‘’He got busted for cocaine possession Dad, cocaine! And you and Mom are just acting like it’s all ok’’.

But before my father could retaliate with some cheesy comment on how family should ‘’stick together’’ and ‘’persevere’’, Jake walked out, and he wasn’t alone.

‘’Hey sis’’ He grinned before engulfing me in a massive bear hug and swinging me around.

‘’Hey doll’’ I mumbled back sleepily as he laughed and did that half handshake half hug thing with my dad and brother before giving my crying mother a kiss on the cheek.