Stories of the Past

Cali's POV

You know that horrible feeling you get when you've done something that you know you shouldn't have, and yet you can't stop thinking about it?

Thats exactly how I feel. 

Our kiss is replaying in my mind over and over like a broken record. 

The truth is I'm attracted to Mark, and all of his bad boy glory. But it's clear there's a more serious issue going on. 

He did something really really bad. 

Not like selling cocaine, which up until a couple weeks ago I thought was bad enough, no he did something seriously fucked up.

And the worst part is he won't tell me! He won't open up! The look on his face when I asked him why he really wen't to prison just broke my heart in two. And I felt horrific. 

You know what I do when I feel horrific?

I write a song.

So I trotted downstairs at 2 in the morning, and began writing away.

''I keep trying to forget, to stop the images from entering my mind''

I sang as my hands brushed over the piano keys.

''But I just can't help myself, once again I'm confined, to the music in the my mind''

I whispered as a tear leaked from my eye.

Shit.

I haven't felt this way in a while. Not to the point where I'm crying. In the short time that I'd known him, Mark had broken down my exterior, it seemed that every barrier I'd put up he'd just taken down, and it had been so easy for him, which bothered me even more, considering he hadn't taken his down at all. 

''Oh shit Cali don't cry'' Mark said as I looked up startled. He sat down on the piano stool and brushed the tears from my cheek.

''I'm sorry'' he said, ''It's a really touchy thing, and you caught me at such a vulnerable state, and then you asked me and I thought you were using me...''

He trailed off looking downwards, as though he couldn't bare to see the pain he'd inflicted.

''No, I'm sorry, I get that it's something personal and if you don't wanna tell me you don't have to'' I said solemnly as I tucked his chin up with my hands. 

We sat there in silence, my hand cupping his face as we rested on each other's shoulders.

After a couple of minutes, he looked up, two tears running down his right and left cheeks. 

''I was charged for attempted murder'' he said quietly as I looked up shocked.

''It was a saturday night'' he carried on, not looking me in the eye as he spoke, ''and my friends and I were just messing about, raising hell, as usual, and this man'' he gulped looking at me as I urged him to carry on, ''this man, came out of a store with my favorite kind of beer, ''budweiser''. I hit him with a stick and I meant to hit him on his arm, but it somehow jerked away and I ended up poking him in his eye, resulting in him losing his eye'' 

I sat there horrified. 

Mark had blinded someone in one eye.

''I was charged with attempted murder and sentenced to two years in jail, they let me leave after two months, I didn't go home because my mother didnt wan't me home.''

I sat there in shock, not knowing what to do.

So I kissed him.

''Thank you for telling me'' I said as he looked at me, startled.

''Thats it?'' he said, clearly expecting a different reaction. 

''Come with me'' I said calmly as I took his hand and lead him upstairs.

He followed silenty as we went upstairs.

''Your room?'' he inquired as I opened the door.

''Yes'' I replied solemnly as I lay down on the bed and gestured for him to lie next to me. 

He sat down gingerly, wondering if this was some kind of test.

''Mark it's ok'' I said quietly, and he finally lay down.

For some reason I felt as though I'd managed to break down the first barrier.

I reached for his hand as he lay beside me, we interlocked fingers and I felt the butterfly's errupt in my stomach.

He leant in slowly, engulfing me in his big beautiful blue orbs and he lighlty kissed me on the mouth.

''Thank you for understanding Cali''

''No problem Marky Mark''

He smiled. ''Sounds like a rap name''

''Sure does'' I replied as I turned over.

''Cali?'' He said as he wrapped an arm around my waist.

''Yes Mark''

''You have a good heart''

I smiled into my pillow as I moved my hand towards his, he kissed me on the neck.

''I know you may not believe it Mark, but so do you''.